Can I achieve plump big lips without getting duck lips? (photos)

I want to get lip injections to make my lips bigger and plump, but i really dont want to look like a duck at the end. I want them to look naturally big. I like my lips, but my top lip lacks volume. What do you recommend?

Duck Lips Are a Mistake, Not the Norm

You need to find a board-certified dermatologist who has expertise in injecting hyaluronic-acid-based fillers if you want to augment your lips. The “duck lip” effect you are afraid of is due to poor technique and over-injection. Using Juvederm and Restylane takes finesse and experience. Please find a board-certified dermatologist to help you get the look you desire.

San Diego Dermatologist

Fillers

You should start out with 1cc of juvederm filler or restylane filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur. One syringe is typically $500.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Avoiding duck lips

You can absolutely enhance your lips with filler WITHOUT the duck lip look. You just need to make sure you go to an experience injector who prioritizing providing his or her patients with natural looking results. What I always recommend is to look at reviews online about the doctor to see if patients are leaving reviews that their results look natural or not. Also ask to see before and after pictures of other patients who had lip injections so you can make sure the physician does provide his patients with natural results. 

The results are all based on injector technique and the type of filler used. I take a very natural approach when I inject my patients with either Volbella or Juvederm. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Natural Looking Lips with Fillers

Dear edenbinia:

Yes, it is possible to augment lips such that they look natural to the eye.  It is paramount to see an expert injector and use the appropriate filler.  Best wishes.

YES

Natural looking plumper lips are entirely achievable with the correct products and with an experienced  provider.  I would recommend a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. 

Michael Janitch, MD
Green Bay Plastic Surgeon

Yes!

Many patients express concern about "duck lips" or excessively large lips after being treated with fillers.

If your lips were treated appropriately, with the goal of enhancing them to better proportion your face then you won't have this look.

It is also common to have some excess swelling immediately after treatment that lasts up to one week, but this subsides. 

Philip A. Alves, MD
Toronto Physician

Nat

It is entirely possible to have natural looking lip injections. The key is choosing the right products, having the correct amount placed and knowing where to inject in the anatomy to avoid only the lip line.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in facial injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip injections

Thank you for your question and photos.  Yes it is possible to get a natural looking,fuller lip.  Keep in mind that a lot of the people you see on social media are getting multiple syringes of filler in their lips.   Some like this aesthetic, as others do not.  Be sure to see an experienced injector who can properly evaluate you.   I only do one syringe of filler at a time, separated by 2-3 weeks.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Perfecting the Pout--Lip Augmentation that Works, Fillers (Perlane, Voluma), Implants, Fat

These fillers, (Volbella, Restylane, Juvederm) are good to create a symmetrical and full lip that still looks natural. Implants or fat are alternative options. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Can I achieve plump big lips without getting duck lips?

Hello, and thanks for your question. The short answer is yes, this is possible. The most important thing is to find an experienced injector. Please try to avoid seeing a... quack (couldn't resist). Kidding aside, you do want to find an experienced injector, as this is an area where skill level can make a huge difference. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon