Can I achieve plump big lips without getting duck lips? (photos)

I want to get lip injections to make my lips bigger and plump, but i really dont want to look like a duck at the end. I want them to look naturally big. I like my lips, but my top lip lacks volume. What do you recommend?

Natural Looking Lips with Fillers

Dear edenbinia:

Yes, it is possible to augment lips such that they look natural to the eye.  It is paramount to see an expert injector and use the appropriate filler.  Best wishes.

YES

Natural looking plumper lips are entirely achievable with the correct products and with an experienced  provider.  I would recommend a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. 

Michael Janitch, MD
Green Bay Plastic Surgeon

Yes!

Many patients express concern about "duck lips" or excessively large lips after being treated with fillers.

If your lips were treated appropriately, with the goal of enhancing them to better proportion your face then you won't have this look.

It is also common to have some excess swelling immediately after treatment that lasts up to one week, but this subsides. 

Philip A. Alves, MD
Toronto Physician

Nat

It is entirely possible to have natural looking lip injections. The key is choosing the right products, having the correct amount placed and knowing where to inject in the anatomy to avoid only the lip line.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in facial injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip injections

Thank you for your question and photos.  Yes it is possible to get a natural looking,fuller lip.  Keep in mind that a lot of the people you see on social media are getting multiple syringes of filler in their lips.   Some like this aesthetic, as others do not.  Be sure to see an experienced injector who can properly evaluate you.   I only do one syringe of filler at a time, separated by 2-3 weeks.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Perfecting the Pout--Lip Augmentation that Works, Fillers (Perlane, Voluma), Implants, Fat

These fillers, (Volbella, Restylane, Juvederm) are good to create a symmetrical and full lip that still looks natural. Implants or fat are alternative options. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Can I achieve plump big lips without getting duck lips?

Hello, and thanks for your question. The short answer is yes, this is possible. The most important thing is to find an experienced injector. Please try to avoid seeing a... quack (couldn't resist). Kidding aside, you do want to find an experienced injector, as this is an area where skill level can make a huge difference. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lips can be enhanced with going to the ducks

With proper injection technique, lips can be enhanced without looking like a duck. If the top lip is overly injected compared to the lower, this can form duck lips. Also, if they protrude too much when looking at the side view, this can look like a duck. I would gradually add filler, one syringe at a time over several sessions, with at least 2 weeks in between. This will give your best and most natural results.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is small compared to your lower (about 1/3rd the size). Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. When the upper lip is larger than the lower lip, this makes the lips unbalanced and gives the "duck lip" appearance.  The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant without making them look "ducky". 

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

No duck lips

Fillers can be placed to fill out the lips without making them "ducky."  Best to find a good injector.