Have I had successful gynecomastia surgery? Do I still have gyno or it chest fat? How can I have firmer & toned chest? (photo)

I had gynecomastia surgery including liposuction about a year ago. When I look in the mirror and I keep my hands by my sides or lift them up in the air my chest does look flat. But when I flex my muscles my chest seems to stick out, my pecs feel hard, round and pointy when I do flex. I do still have some fat in my body and I am trying to lower my body fat %. I want to find out if I still have gyno or is it fat tissue?

Have I had successful gynecomastia surgery? Do I still have gyno or it chest fat? How can I have firmer & toned chest?

With regard to the gynecomastia surgery, if the entire gland was removed, you should not be experiencing a recurrence. To better sculpt your chest lipo may be required and reducing your body fat while maintaining an exercise regimen. 

Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in #gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

Seeing the #final results can take some time as each breast commonly heal at different rates of each other. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation process after #gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  In the future, any #indentations may be addressed with fat #grafting or #cosmetic #fillers if you are  deemed a good fit.If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia

Dear nachau15,

Thank you for your clinical post and photographs. Although difficult to tell what your pre-operative photos might have looked like you appear to have a nice chest contour to both in front and side views. There does appear on the bird’s eye view to be some extra fat under your skin, but on top of your pectoralis major. This fat or fibrofatty collection is amenable to liposuction. Modern techniques of liposuction such as laser assisted Smartlipo, Vaser Lipo or even BodyTite radio frequency assisted liposuction will ensure that you get the flattest possible result post-operatively.

In my practice, I have been performing cosmetic liposuction for over 20 years and gynecomastia is an important part of the business as with the newer technique such as BodyTite, Smartlipo or Vaser Lipo. The fat tissue of the chest can be liquefied prior to removal, greatly enhancing contraction and making the procedure less uncomfortable.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Gynecomastia result

Thank you for your questions and photos.  Although there are no photos of you before the procedure, you seem to have a flat chest now.  If you want to build muscle and lose fat, maintain a healthy diet along with weight training.  As you lose fat and gain muscle, I think you will be more pleased with your result.

Dr. JSB

Normal chest appearance

Without a proper exam or at least photos of your previous appearance it is difficult to comment on the degree of improvement.  However, from the after photo provided it looks like your chest contour is normal and the scars are not apparent, so this appears to be a satisfactory result.