Should I be getting High Profile or Moderate Plus based on my desired look? (Photos)

I have been sized by my Dr. and we have chosen 385cc for me. He suggested high profile, but I am wondering, given my desired look, if moderate plus is a better choice for me? I don't want a fake look & am concerned that high profile 1) may project out too far, 2) will result in too round of a breast, 3) will not give enough of a natural slope (aka too round), 4) i want them as close together as possible. I am 5'3, 110 lbs, size = 12 BWD. 2 photos attached of me, & 2 photos of my desired look.

Implant selection

Choosing the right implant for you requires an exam in person. This requires a full exam of your anatomy and your goals.

High profile

Thanks for your answer. As a rule, for any given volume of a breast implant a moderate profile implant will have a wider base width than a high profile implant. If you therefore don't want to go to big or have too much projection, but still want to gain a cleavage and "side boob" then go for a moderate profile implant. If you want it all then choose a high profile implant. The final decision must be based on your measurements, and a discussion between you and your surgeon.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Moderate VS high profile implants

Hello and thank you for your question. You appear to be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation. The new size and shape of your breasts will be determined by the type of implant you choose, your breast dimensions and skin quality.  You should discuss your expectations with a board certified plastic surgeon at the the time of your consultation. An  examination is required as well as breast  measurements to determine the correct size and shape for you. I hope this helps and good luck. 

Kenneth A. Godwin, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for the question. This is best answered during an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

The size / shape and profile of the implant needs to be specifically addressed to match your breast and body dimensions. You should always opt for under the muscle implants for the most natural look, and lowest risk of complication ( capsular contracture )

Based on your photos, goals and breast width, I would prefer the MP for you as well. I think that the HP will also look great, but it will tend towards a more perky shape vs natural shape. Further, the 385 is made by Sientra. These implants are FDA approved, but given the financial issues that this company has faced, I am concerned that the warranty won't help you if they go out of business in the next 10 years. I am not saying that they will but it should still be something to consider. Mentor and Allergan have been around a long time and are not likely to go bankrupt any time soon. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

High profile or moderate plus profile implants?

A natural look will most likely be acheived with lower profile and lower volume implants. That being said, one needs to satisfy size desires for the patient, and higher profile implants may be needed. This is a judgement decision for your surgeon based on the look you want to acheive (and avoid). Much is dependent on the skin and soft tissue tone and how much it can stretch. Cleavage is usually determined by the existing space between your breasts currently. You appear to have a wider breastbone, so the look you are requesting on the photos may not be obtainable. Discuss these issues at length with your surgeon, so there is no disappointment after your surgery.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Hi versus moderate profile

Thank you for your question.  If your breasts are naturally far apart and your breast implants are placed too close together you could potentially run into problems with seeing the implants or feeling ripples in your cleavage area.  If you are concerned about your current choice, you could contact your PS and request another appointment.  There are many ways to choose implants, including looking at before-and-after pics, 3D virtual imaging, and trying on sizers.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.B

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Should I be getting High Profile or Moderate Plus based on my desired look?

Discuss your options with your surgeon.  If he is a highly experienced Plastic Surgeon, he will know exactly what you want based on your body and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD