Could You Tell Me the Difference Between Fractora Skin Resurfacing and Fraxel Laser?

I am a 48 year old woman with sun damage and wrinkles on my forehead and around my eyes. I have had 3 Fraxel treatments, but really didn't see any change. Would the Fractora Skin Resurfacing work better for me?

Laser, radiofrequency

Without a picture, it's hard to make specific recommendations.  The Fractora system is radiofrequency-not laser.  I would think that that is not going to give you the results you're looking for.  Botox into the forehead would help a lot with the wrinkles.  You could continue with more Fraxel laser treatments because the effects are cumulative or you could switch to an ablative fractionated laser treatment such as Pearl Fractional laser.  This will give you much better results in one treatment than the Fraxel but you would have approximately one week of down time.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractora Versus Fraxel

Great question. These are both great technologies. Please make sure that the Fraxel Re:pair (for deeper tightening) and the Fraxel 1927 (for the more superficial lines). Given your age and the location, I'm betting most of the lines are fairly superficial. Personally, I do think the Fractora does more for wrinkles. Fraxel requires at least 4 (and frequently up to 6) treatments. With Fractora, I almost always see a big difference with 2 treatments. In fact, even after 1 treatment, I've never had a patient say they didn't see much. Fraxel does not have the scabbing and less downtime of Fractora, but it is a slower process. Talk to your doc and/or get a second opinion.

Patrick W. Blake, MD
Encinitas Dermatologist

Fractora uses an applicator is invasive pins that discharge radiofrequency energy. Fraxel Lasers use fractional laser light.

The Fractora is very different from the Fraxel lasers.  Fractora uses radiofrequency energy delivered through a hand piece with and array of pins about 1mm +/- long that are inserted into the skin and then discharge radiofrequency energy to melt small dots of skin and stimulate improvement in skin texture, wrinkles and scars.  There are three Fraxel Lasers:  Fraxel re:pair - an ablative fractional carbon dioxide laser,  Fraxel 1550 ,a non ablative fractional laser and Fraxel 1927 Thulium laser that is superficially ablative.  These devices are used in very different ways.  See an expert for recommendation for your treatment.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon