Adhesions after gynecomastia surgery. Will it last?

Hello, it is been only 11 days after my lipo/tissue removal gynecomastia surgery and there are indentations in my chest that appear when flexing my muscle. I know it is still early to tell if this is final, but my question is :: when approximately can we say that those adhesions will last? And what can i do NOW to solve what happened or to prevent more?

Adhesions after Gynecomastia Surgery

After your #Gynecomastia #surgery, the #incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor. 

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Massage and patience

Adhesions bewteen the skin or the nipple areola complex and the underlying muscle can certainly occur after gynecomastia surgery. Where was your incision? Incision placement may have some bearing on the occurance of post operative adhesions. 

I strongly recommend early post operative chest massage to all of my gynecomastia patients to help avoid any adhesions. Ask your surgeon if massage would be useful for you.   If the problem persists, a simple solution is a small amount of fat graft placed under the "stuck" area.

I hope this helps!
Dr. Robert Shenker MD FRCSC 

Adhesions after gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question. Since you are only 11 days out from your procedure, you can expect to have irregularities and dents in the skin from swelling. You will not see your final results for a few months. Sometimes massaging the area can help with adhesions but I would ask your Plastic Surgeon first before doing this. Continue to follow-up with your surgeon until you are satisfied with the results. Best wishes

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon