Nipple pink and deformed after gynecomastia surgery. Should I be worried? (Photo)

I have had gland excision only (no lipo) on both nipples 2.5 weeks ago. My left nipple is healing perfectly: minimal swelling, no scar tissue, and overall looks normal. But my right nipple has scar tissue forming underneath, part of it is turning pink, and it is very deformed. Should I be worried?

2.5 Weeks Post Male Breast Reduction

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process after gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible the indentations can be addressed with cosmetic filler(s) if eligible. 

Follow up with your surgeon

To be sure your healing is progressing well.  Remember that in plastic surgery, final results are usually a year in developing, certainly not in the acute phase of healing (the first six weeks).  There will be lots of changesin the looks of your nipples and breasts as  the effects of surgery calm down.

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Nipple after gynecomastia

You need to discuss with your doctor what he suggests. Sometimes massage can help. It is also early in the healing and may settle out a bit with time.