My neck slopes into my jawline? (Photo)

I'm 20, and my face has always looked very flat from the side. My chin sticks out (too much, if you ask me), but I feel like there is very little to no definition between where my neck ends and my face begins. What are my options? Do you suggest I get a procedure done? I really don't want anything super invasive, but if my face looks this bad now at my age I worry what it will look like in 20 years.

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. You would benefit from Kybella, the only FDA-approved that eliminates submental fullness due to submental fat. There are plenty of treatments (injectibles, chemical peels, lasers) that can be performed as you age to minimize the effect of aging. A key variable in your aging process, however, is the way you approach skin care. Please see the video for more detail. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

UAL cervical facial

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

My neck slopes into my jawline?

You could consider chin reduction surgery but I don't feel that your chin projection is excessive. 
In my opinion you would see the most dramatic results with improvement of the contour of your neckline. To improve the definition of your neckline, consider Kybella. Watch the attached video to see results and for more information.  Similar results can be achieved with submental liposuction (but that is, of course, more invasive).
Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck contouring surgery

It appears that your major problem is in fat deposits in the neck and along jawline. A conservative liposuction of the neck and jawline may be a good solution. You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with good expertise in face and neck surgery and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Neck Liposuction

The least invasive and the only procedure that would be of benefit is that of liposuction of your neck. That will help create a little more distinction between between your neck and your jawline.

Liposuction is often the answer.

Liposuction of your jawline and neck is so easy to undergo and makes such a great improvement in so many patients. You are back to work in 1-2 days and can drive yourself home.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

This can be improved with a neck contouring procedure. I suggest you see an expert in facial shaping with liposuction and/or kybella.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Neck liposuction for fat removal in the neck

Liposuction in the neck can accomplish improvement of the jawline and rejuvenate  the neck.  The procedure can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  For many neck liposuction  before and afters, to see the video and the link below

Poorly Defined Jawline

I suggest you consider liposuction under you chin and below your jaw to improve jawline definition. This minimally invasive procedure can be done at your age; enjoy the results now, don't wait 20 years.

20, and my face has always looked very flat from the side.

Hi, I have performed many facelifts and neck lifts over the past 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is properly balanced but there is excess fat and skin under the chin.  The least invasive method to address both of these issues would be liposuction and skin removal through a small, curved incision under the chin.  At 20 years old (and confirmed by your photos), you don't have "jowls" which are the primary indication for some type of facelift procedure as described below.Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.  My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
 I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.