I'm concerned about the lumpy area under my chin after a 2nd surgery from a previous neck lift 10 months ago? (Photo)

My surgeon went under my chin to remove some subcutaneous fat. The next day I had swelling under the chin with fluid so he removed the fluid and the next day he removed a tiny bit more. 3 days later he looked under my chin and said he was not expecting the results of what he saw and neither was I. Now I have a fairly large lumpy area under my chin which is very noticeable . I will see him again in the next 5 days. What can I expect from this?

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. The lumps you experience are sometimes part of the healing process. It would be helpful to see pictures dating before your surgery as well as before your surgeon moved the fluid. You should expect your surgeon to address your lump area in detail, however, you should make sure to discuss other concerns you may have. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

Swelling and lumps can persist after liposuction for several months. I suggest treatments such as massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen to drastically reduce swelling. Please follow up with your physician if you have post-operative concerns. This may be a scarred seroma that needs surgical repair. Best, Dr. Emer

You're still in the acute healing phase

and must allow swelling and inflammation to subside as what you see now is not what you will get if your surgeon planned the revisions properly.  Try to be patient and trust your surgeon to do everything possible for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Swelling under her chin after neck surgery

What needs to be done depends on several factors. First of all, a frontal view and lateral view would be necessary to give a better explanation.How long has it been since your last surgery? What surgery was done?Is this a fluid accumulation, fat or firmness secondary to platysma muscle surgery?A steroid injection may be helpful.  You also may require some additional surgery.  I would definitely go back to see your surgeon .  I'm sure that this can be resolved

David F. LaPatka, MD
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not enough information

In order to give you a good answer, more information would be needed about your original surgery and your second surgery with the type of intervention performed to remove fluid.  The area might need to be reopened depending upon what was done with the second surgery and how the fluid was removed post op.  Its best to ask these questions and follow with your original surgeon.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon