Voluma fillers a bit swollen and uneven day after procedure? Will this settle or do I need to get it fixed? (photo)

Yesterday had 1 injection of voluma (1/2 syringe on each cheek) to fix volume loss and improve hollowing under the eyes. Today it looks good (noticeably smaller circles). But the filler looks a bit raised directly below the dark circle where it meets the cheek, and a bit deflated towards the outer side of the dark circles (as if it needs more filler? or less in the middle? or is this just swollen from the procedure? Will it settle itself? I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow.

Next Day Worries With Voluma

It's way to soon to stare in the mirror and check for results.  Voluma takes a few days to settle and for any swelling to go down.

If you are really worried, you can call your doctor and they can look at you but I tell my patients not to worry for up to a week if there is swelling and (fortunately, infrequent) bruising with Voluma.

And, another tip, I have found that patients with Voluma, even with ideal results (a natural, refreshed look) start to more closely examine their faces and notice facial features that have been there for a lifetime, but, now that they are actually looking, they see them for the "first time" and worry that something has happened from the filler.   Always ask your doctor if you are concerned there is a problem.

Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Voluma

It is normal to have swelling after Voluma injections. I normally see my patients two weeks post-injections, and at that point most of the short term issues have resolved. That being said, 1/2 syringe is a very small amount and less than I normally perform.

David S. Felder, MD
Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Voluma treatment

There can be some swelling involved after a Voluma treatment.  It should resolve within a week or so and then you will be able to see your final results.  If you need a touch up, it can be done at that point.

Camille Cash, MD

Voluma

Mild swelling after Voluma injections is very common and generally nothing to worry about. Full results can be seen after the swelling goes down, generally within a few days to a week. If you are still swollen or unhappy with the results after a few weeks, then I would recommend visiting your injector again to see what can be done to fix it.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma

I think you have a very nice result. However, that being said, if you're not happy, it's important to let your plastic surgeon know. Voluma takes about three weeks to really know what the final result will be I'd try to give it some time.

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician

Still early day.

Looking good, still early days as it has only been 24 hours. It does take a week or two to settle down. I normally stage my fillers, especially if you have never had filler before. The first visit sets the foundation- namely to correct volume loss mid cheek. I think the amount you had , 0.5 ml is just right. The next stage at week two is to blend the sides in and provide subtle lifting in key areas around your eyes. You will only need 0.3 ml each side. 

I would let it settle for now. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and Aesthetic Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Voluma usually settles with Minimal Swelling

Veronica,

Your result thus far looks good and should continue to settle nicely.  One cc of Voluma for both sides is a very conservative amount; to lift your cheek and also improve the contour of the lateral hollows, you may need another 1/2 cc per side.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma fillers a bit swollen and uneven day after procedure? Will this settle or do I need to get it fixed?

Thank you for your question and photographs, and congratulations on your results with Voluma.  Hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Voluma, augment and support soft tissue in the face directly through their gel-like consistency, but also through water absorption.  I find that it takes patients 10-14 days to have their results settle out.  If at that time you still have some asymmetry, talk to your injector about a touch up for correction.  Hope this helps. 

Fillers and Swelling

I suggest waiting 1-2 weeks before deciding to do anything.  Fillers can swell and need time to settle.  If you are concerned speak to your physician, I suggest cannula injections in the future.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Voluma and swelling

it is  probably too soon to recheck . there is  swelling from the injection that can last for a few days to a week.  I find that it will often settle by 2 weeks.  If you are concerned I would let your doctor know and they can decide whether to see you sooner.

Shelley Halper, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon