Juvederm Voluma problem. How long until hyalase works to relieve pain? If this doesn't work, what will? (Photo)

Got 1cc Juvederm 11 wks ago. ENT really hurt my left cheek during injection. It stayed swollen, painful & red for 10 wks so I decided to hyalse with oculoplastic aesthetic surgeon very experienced in hylase who thinks it may be irritating infraorbital nerve. (The hyalase injection in the sore area was extremely painful) No problems from hylase but left cheek hasn't improved & it's been 6 days. I am 4 weeks into a 6 week course of antilbiotics as precaution. What should I do next? Awful situation

Juvederm Voluma problem. How long until hyalase works to relieve pain? If this doesn't work, what will?

Thank you for your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear about your Voluma issues.  Hyaluronidase starts to work immediately at dissolving the filler, and reaches max effect after about 2 days.  Occasionally, multiple doses are needed to dissolve all the filler, and it can take 1-2 weeks for the surrounding tissues to resolve from the swelling of the injections. If your physicians think that one of your nerves has been irritated, it would be best to stop any further treatments and give your nerve time to settle down.  Either through an inadvertent trauma to the nerve, or the swelling of the tissues, the nerve may have suffered a "neuropraxia" which may take weeks to months to improve.  Keep close follow up with your physicians, and hang in there, time should help improve your symptoms. 

Question answered before about nerve pain after Voluma

This should be treated by neurology for trigeminal neuralgia. I don't think hyaluronidase will do much. The nerve has been traumatized and is sending painful signals. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD