17 days post op Tummy Tuck, why is my stomach swollen and hard?

Had Tummy tuck and lipo a 17 days ago.  My stomach where the cut is is so swollen and hard?  I hope it goes away is it normal to be that swollen look larger then it was before I did tuck..

Swelling after an abdominoplasty is normal and if this was combined with liposuction (especially if the stomach area itself underwent liposuction). Without being able to examine you it is impossible to say if this is a normal amount of post-operative swelling. If the swelling is increasing and the skin getting tight this could be a seroma (fluid collection) or a hematoma (collection of old blood). The best course of action is to call your surgeon and be seen as soon as possible to evaluate the problem and decide if any treatment is needed.

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

Swelling is normal after a tummy tuck and it takes weeks and months to go away completely.
But if you are concerned, see your surgeon to be examined.

It is common to experience swelling after a Tummy Tuck. You have to wait until it goes down 3-6 months so you will see your final results. 

Yily De Los Santos, MD

Thank you for the question!  It is difficult to tell if your recovery is normal without an in-person consultation.  What you describe could be normal or it could be the start of a seroma.  Please see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible for evaluation.  Best of luck.

--Dr. Mussman

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon