Bump On Nose Hurts Sometimes, Do I Need Surgery? (photo)

Ever since I was younger, my nose has been hurting on the inside. I have a bump on the bridge of my nose. I remember when I was younger, running face first into a tree, but I didn't think anything of it. It's been about 10 years now, and it's really getting bad. I notice when it hurts that I'm a bit congested. I do have a specialist appointment in another month, but I'm just curious to what he's going to do/say. Would I have to go for surgery? What kind of surgery?

Bump On Nose Hurts Sometimes, Do I Need Surgery?

The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Dear Hilladour,

Thank you for your question and photo.  Your nose specialist will probably look inside your nose to see if there is any problem there.  If so, then this could be covered by insurance.  The contour of the nose, however, will not be covered as this is cosmetic.  It is not 'needed' but I think you would have a very nice improvement in your appearance with a Rhinoplasty.  The following link is an example.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Greetings, physical evaluation is required to make an accurate diagnosis of your case, from the aesthetic point of view and according to the pictures shown I can tell you're a candidate for a rhinoplasty to fix the dorsal hump and nasal tip drop, now your nose presents a deformity known as witch's nose, this condition can be corrected with rhinoplasty, good luck

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD