Why Do I Still Have Constant Pain and Pulling from my Facelift Performed One Year Ago? What is my Best Option for Help?

I think some plastic surgeons need to rethink their techniques. If it can cause even one patient daily pain after one full year they need to conduct surveys and research to find out why it happened and the best way to treat it. Where are support groups for people in pain from cosmetic surgery? I need help.

Pain & Pulling One Year Following a Facelift

Throughout the #facelift #healing process you should be seen frequently by your doctor and one of their registered nurses to ensure you are following instructions properly and your recovery is going well. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. 

However, in this particular situation, it may be best to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss this concern.

LIngering Pain One Year After Facelift?

Have you addressed this concern to the surgeon who performed your facelift?  Follow-up appointments are meant for you to voice these things because it is individual time specifically set-up for you and your surgeon. Any pain caused by a facelift procedure should subside within a matter of a few weeks so I recommend that if you are still experiencing pain to schedule a follow up with your surgeon so they can investigate the problem. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chronic Pain After a Facelift

It is understandable that you may think that Plastic Surgeons haven't studied your problem in that there are no published studies and really no definitive answer we can give you. This is because your problem is exceedingly rare in Plastic Surgery. For instance, I have seen your problem once in 25 years. Unfortunately, we rarely find a reason such as a deep stitch that can be addressed yielding a cure. I suspect you may find solice in a "pain" clinic where a combination of massage, medication, pain blocks, acupuncture and councelling is available.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

Facial pain one year after facelift is almost unheard of.

I have no idea what you are suffering from but you clearly need the second opinion about the source of your pain. Facelifts in general are not painful procedures.

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

Sorry to hear about your pain. A tight scar near a sensory nerve can do this and will have a pinpoint area of tenderness. Go back to your surgeon and discuss this. Otherwise, seek an opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Face Lift

Thank you for your question about constant pain and fully after your face lift.

• Meet with your surgeon and another Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Map out exactly where the pain and pulling, 
  • You may have excess scar in the skin or deeper,  
  • popular mini-face lift suture suspension seems to cause more pain and pulling. Re-operation on skin and to remove retained sutures may help, 
  • I am truly sorry about your experience. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Facelift pain

This is an uncommon course following facelift and most likely does not have a surgical solution. I would recommend starting with a physical therapist that can utilize various modalities including ultrasound, massage and other non-invasive strategies to help alleviate your symptoms. I would ask your surgeon to make a recommendation if he/she has a relationship with a therapist skilled at managing post-operative patients. Good luck.

Tamir Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Facial Pain and Facelift

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty.  Facelift techniques are generally predictable and safe in the hands of PS or FPS with formal training board certification and experience but even in those hands some outcomes fall short.  I would sit and discuss this openly with your surgeon to devise strategies to improve your situation.  One such strategy would be to illicit the help of a pain management specialist (anesthesiologist) to provide recommendations for management of this long term pain. I hope this helps and best wishes.

Dr. ES

Facelift Pain

Chronic Pain after a facelift is a very uncommon long term finding.  It has been reported but is quite rare.  Nonetheless, this fact does not diminish your suffering.  I would recommend consulting with a pain managment specialist to determine if there are other potential causes of your pain and recommended solutions. Best wishes on your recovery.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts and prolonged pain.

In 38 years of facelifting I have never had a patient with prolonged pain. You need to see your surgeon or get a second opinion to determine cause and treatment.