Preop and Postop Arnica dosage?

I am having a mommy makeover in less than a month and I am looking into taking arnica Montana preop and postop. The bottle of Hylan's says 4 tablets 4 times per day. What is the recommended dose during the pre-and post op period?

Arnica dosage for pre and post surgical procedures

I do recommend Arnica for my patients that are having surgery.  Arnica is available in sublingual tablets and the dosage varies depending on the brand you purchase.  Arnica may help patients with bruising, swelling and muscle aches.  I usually recommend my patients start the Arnica two to three days before surgery and then continue for approximately two weeks after.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins Pre-Op and Post-Op

With #cosmeticsurgery such as #abdominoplasty, we have our patients start on vitamins and supplements two weeks before and two weeks after.  We prefer VitaMedica, as we know the content of these surgical support vitamins. The program includes Arnica and Bromelain. The best thing would be to follow the dosage supplied on the bottle, but if you are worried at all about the amount that is best for you then checking with your own PCP for the best dosage for your size and weight would be good. Best of luck!

Mommy make-over - correct Arnica dose?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Arnica does seem to work for some people - not everyone.
  • The dosage is as given on the bottle.
  • However it works by increasing the tendency of blood to clot -
  • And blood clots are a risk with a tummy tuck.
  • Please check with your surgeon before taking the Arnica -
  • I do not allow its use for any surgery that has an increased blood clot risk.
  • Nor do I find that severe bruising is a big problem after a tummy tuck or most breast surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Preop and Postop Arnica dosage?

Most of us do not encourage the use of arnica. Although it is not likely to harm you, no scientific study has ever validated its usefulness. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Preop and Postop Arnica dosage?

Arnica Montana is a homeopathic drug that is claimed to reduce bruising and swelling. Anecdotally, many patients and plastic surgeons feel that Arnica does have a benefit. There are, however, conflicting reports in the valid scientific literature about these claims. Bromelin (Bromelain), another homeopathic medication, is a mixture of enzymes found naturally in the juice and stems of pineapples and also purported to reduce swelling, bruising, inflammation and pain after surgery. This supplement, which is often taken along with Arnica, is also controversial with regard to efficacy.
I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon. It is critical that he or she should be aware of all medications, supplements, minerals, vitamins, and herbs that you are taking, because they may interfere with normal blood coagulation, healing, and anesthesia.
Robert Singer, MD  FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Arnica pre op.

Yes, many patients and my personal opinion is that Arnica Montana may be be beneficial in preventing bruising. We have them start before surgery and continue during the first week afterwards. Arnica gel is also helpful for topical use over bruises.
Bromelain may also be helpful (see below link)

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective pre-op and post-op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon