Full Mommy makeover, BBL, TT & BA. Is this too much stress on the body with these surgery after a sleeve?

I am currently obese (BMI 40, 5'10", 275) and will be undergoing a sleeve procedure. Is this too much stress on the body with these surgery after a sleeve? What is ideal BMI for me? Is my goal of 36-24-40 realistic? What should I do to ensure I'm healthy enough for plastics? Any advice is greatful. I just want to be prepared in terms of my consultation since I want to visit DR prior to surgery and meet with about 3 doctors (their team) thanks for reading!

Mommy Makeover Combined Procedures

The mommy makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, #breastreduction.

Now, it is usually best to reach your ideal weight before the actual procedure. When patients have experienced extreme weight loss due to diet and exercise, #gastricbypass surgery, or #stomachstapling  or #lapband surgery, there will be excess body skin that needs removal. In order to correct this problem many patients will need a #TummyTuck surgery, #panniculectomy, or #abdominoplasty.  This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for women with loose skin and stretch marks following pregnancy, and patients who have undergone significant weight loss. Note that there is also the option of liposuction in a mommy makeover to remove excess fat and tissue from different areas of the body.

BBL, breast aug and tummy tuck after gastric sleeve?

Thank you for your question.  I think planning ahead is a very good idea and should help you get through the initial healing phase after your sleeve procedure.  Once your weight is stable you will be a good candidate for the procedures that you mention but will probably need to consider a full mastopexy in addition to the breast augmentation procedure.  Since anesthesias over six hours have an increased risk of deep vein thrombosis and potential pulmonary embolism I would recommend that you consider separating the procedures sharing the breast lift//aug with fat harvest and injection into the gluteal area with a separate anesthesia for future tummy tuck.  I know that this does increase the expense but is also safer in my opinion. When the time comes discuss your options with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Full mommy make-over after gastric sleeve

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • After a gastric sleeve, if you lose a lot of weight, your body will be healthier.
  • Elective surgery should be fine. 
  • Your ideal BMI is 25 or less - a BMI of 30 is reasonable for cosmetic weight loss surgery.
  • No cosmetic weight loss surgery until you have lost all the weight and have kept that weight x 3 - 6 months.
  • You should not go to the DR for surgery - do so at your own risk.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

BBA, BL and TT often done together

• A breast lift, breast augmentation, and tummy tuck are often done together.  In healthy people this is a very safe combo.  
  • It is possible that you will need more than just a tummy tuck after you lose all your weight.  When you lose a significant amount of weight then a body lift or what is known as a circumferential tummy tuck may be needed.  This is  a lot more involved.  The surgery takes a lot longer and the recovery puts more stress on your body.  In this case I usually would advise patients to stage the surgeries.  Your surgeon can better advise you as they will have a more complete picture of your overall health.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville.  He is the Director of the Cosmetic Surgery Training Program and an Assistant Clinical Professor at McMaster University.  He strives to provide the best possible plastic surgery results and excellent care to patients from the GTA including Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, Burlington and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Some precautions

I frequently perform this combination  of surgeries on my patients after gastric sleeve or bypass. Safety  requires a very thorough history and physical , that can only be performed in person with a board certified plastic surgeon.It is best if  your BMI  is  close to 30  and that your weight has been stable for at least  6 months.  . See your primary care doctor for a evaluation of  your nutritional status before  any  body  contouring.  .Discuss with your  plastic surgeon the use of deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis during and after surgery. Also have your surgery performed closer to home. Flying soon  after  abdominoplasty results in more blood clots. Furthermore, close followup with you surgeon often is impossible if you live  far away. This is very important if you are having concerns or healing issues. 
Best regards, Prashant Soni, M.D.

Prashant Soni, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

BB, TT and BA in the dominican republic with a BMI of 40, what should my BMI be?

Hi xoxo,

Thanks for your question. A mommy makeover is no small undertaking especially after massive weight loss. A safe BMI should be less than 30. Your ideal measurements can only be achieved if YOUR body structure allows for it. You can certainly find good plastic surgeons in the DR, but should you have a problem, you are likely on your own. Safety should be your number one priority. Standards in other countries are not regulated as tightly as the US. Be safe, have a stable weight for at least 6 months, and be realistic and make sure that your doctor checks your health status first before considering your surgery.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#mommymakeover #massiveweightloss