Would I be able to travel on a plane for a family vacation, 4 weeks post full tummy tuck and breast lift?

I'd be traveling 3 hours on plane.

Traveling Weeks After a Mommy Makeover

Most patients are good to #travel 4 weeks after a #MommyMakeover. You should ask your plastic surgeon for specific advice per your procedure. Additionally, I would suggest you wear #TED #hose and also make a point to move about on the aircraft when feasible to prevent DVT.

When considering travel after a procedure in Melbourne, FL.

Regarding your question about traveling after your tummy tuck and breast lift, that will vary greatly from patient to patient depending on each person’s individual situation, health and recovery.  Generally speaking, most patients would probably be able to travel four weeks after; however, it may be wise if you are planning a vacation to simply have your surgery after the vacation rather than before so as not to find yourself in a difficult situation should you have any postop issues which prolong your recovery.  Definitely discuss this with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  I hope this information is helpful to you.  Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Soaring After Surgery

Thanks for your great question. I would advise you to follow the recommendations of your plastic surgeon.  Every surgeon has their own protocol that they want patients to follow.  As a patient flying after surgery, you must be careful to not lift any luggage and to move your legs and even walk to and from the restroom to exercise while you are in flight.  Also know that you won't have the energy that you normally would and this may impact your vacation.  Good luck to you.

Flying after surgery

Thanks for the question. Every surgeon has its own management of post op. I recommend you to talk with your surgeon and follow his advices to avoid an unnecessary complication. Respectfully, Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Travel after Surgery

This question is best to be answered by your board certified plastic surgeon. I typically recommend my patients to avoid any travelling for about 4 weeks in case of complications and to allow enough time for recovery. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Flying after surgery

At 4 weeks after surgery you should be able to fly safely as you described.  Be sure to rotate your ankles and walk around a bit if possible.  When on your vacation please note that you will likely not have your normal energy level back and may tire easily.  If you are planning an active vacation, be sure to factor in time for breaks.

Camille Cash, MD

Recovery post tummy tuck/breastlift

You should be able to fly on a plane after 4 weeks as long as your healing process proceeds uneventfully. You should be sure to get help with handling luggage, hydrate well and walk. You may not be at your full energy level.Have fun!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

greetingsThank you for your question, 4 weeks post op is fine to travel and do normal activities but I would also recommend that you check with your surgeon for confirmation.After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be. 

It's a good question, but I would make sure to speak with your surgeon about their specific recommendations. They are your best resource for advice after a surgical procedure.In my office, I would be fine with someone flying four weeks after surgery. However, I would caution them that four weeks after surgery their activity will be limited and they may not be able to enjoy their family vacation fully. I personally would advise my patient to have their surgery after they returned from their vacation.

Provided that surgery goes well with no complications you should not have a problem traveling one month later. You should follow the advice of your surgeon for preventing blood clots on a long flight that close to surgery, but you should be able to travel unless there are unforeseen complications. 

Richard J. Brown, MD