I would like a facelift. Had a heart stint in 2 years ago. Am I safe?

I would like a face lift...I also would be getting fat in face..... had a heart stint in 2 yr.'s ago, heart dr. says he does not advise it, totally against it. plastic surgeon says it is safe, I would only be under twilight sedation. who's advice do I take?? has any of you had any problem with this ? what is your opinions?

Facelift with heart stint safety?

Bottom line, it sounds to me as if your cardiologist has told you that it would not be safe. I would definitely follow his or her advice. While it is lovely to look younger, it is not worth risking your health. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Can a facelift be performed on a patient with a stint?

I understand your desire to have a facelift, but you should speak to your cardiologist and ask if he or she would clear you for this procedure.  It is wonderful to look younger, but it is always a good idea to do whatever is best for your health.  I'm sure the two doctors involved will also confer with one another as well.  Best of luck to you.

You really need cardiology clearance

A lot depends on what kind of medication you are taking and what all of your underlying health problems are.  Certainly, a facial plastic surgeon is not the one to make a decision about your heart health for undergoing a procedure.  On the other hand, your cardiologist may be personally opposed to facial plastic surgery.  If you feel this is the case, a second cardiology opinion may be warranted.

Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift following heart stent

It is always a dilemma when there are two different opinions as to the feasibility or safety of doing an elective procedure on a patient.  It  is important that, in your case, the two physician have a conversation so each will know the others reasons - perhaps your heart disease is worse than the plastic surgeon or even you knows, or on the other hand, perhaps the surgery is not as risky as the cardiologist believes it is. And you should ask the reasons why one doesn't recommend it and the other why he/she does.  I have indeed done facelifts on patients who have had stents placed and they did absolutely fine ---however, they were meticulously worked up including full cardiological evaluation and stress testing.  Further, even though most procedures can be done under twilight  sedation,  facelift/fat injections for the right cooperative patient,  can be done under straight local anesthesisa with only the slightest sedation monitored by an anesthesiologist.  Lastly, you can go for other consultations and opinions and make an informed decision afterwards.  Best of luck. 

Armand V. Simone, MD

Heart stent

Hi.  This question is more complicated than it sounds - are you on Plavix, or ASA?  How many stents do you have?  Have you cardiac clearance from your heart doc?  Can you stop your medications safely?

The risk is mostly related to the anesthesia - and the risk of bleeding & hematoma from your medication.  If it is deemed unsafe to stop your blood thinning meds for surgery, as determined by your cardiologist, or if the cardiologist says you are moderate or high risk for anesthesia, then I wouldn't perform your facelift.

Thank you for your question. My best advise is to follow the instructions of your Heart Dr if you are to choose the option of having facelift operation your plastic surgeon will need approval from your heart surgeon. We are talking about a very elective surgery that has inherent risks. 

Facelift after a Heart Stint

Your question is impossible to answer in this forum without significantly more information. At 2 years you should be on only a baby aspirin and an anti platelet agent if you are an average stint. Some people, however, still require another antithrombotic med. This could make a huge difference in your risks. The initial problem and the affected artery or arteries can also make a huge difference. Also, what caused you to have the stint? To make the facelift safe, you need to be off most antithrombotic meds including the aspirin for at least several days around the procedure. I would carefully discuss with your cardiologist why he or she is against your having surgery. If it is simply because you are having surgery you do not "need," then you should seek the opinion of another cardiologist. If the reasons are based on you particular problem, then heed the warning. As far as the fact that you "would only be under twilight sedation," this is frequently worse on your heart than general anesthesia. Also, I would never consider either without a board certified anesthesiologist being present. Many physicians doing "only twilight sedation" for a facelift do not use an anesthesiologist.  

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Safety

When it comes to issues that can kill you, and issues that can improve the way you look, it is important to keep your priorities straight. I do not know the size of your stent, the location of your stent, the potential occlusion of your stent now, the occlusion before, whether you are on blood thinners, and numerous other factors that contribute to your health and safety. These lie in the realm of cardiology -- a very complex and important field. Should you wish to seek another opinion besides your cardiologist, I advise you to seek at least two other cardiologists' opinions, if not three. You must have thorough medical clearance before any legitimate plastic surgeon would operate on you.  Although I do understand you wish to look better, do not pursue this if it is unsafe. 

As a facial plastic surgeon that performs over a 100 facelifts a year, I always rely on the expertise of my colleagues in cardiology, internal medicine, etc. to clear the patient for surgery. We are talking about a very elective surgery that has inherent risks. If a colleague who knows my patient well feels uncomfortable with the patient having the procedure, that is enough for me to not proceed. Your health and safety is the primary concern.

Manuel A. Lopez, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift two years after coronary stent

I am impressed by the strong opinion received from your cardiologist since an open stent in an asymptomatic patient is usually not a risk factor two years after the stent procedure.  You are probably taking aspirin as a blood thinner and this would need to be stopped for your surgery and recovery.  No one can tell you the right thing to do but we would need more information as to why the cardiologist is against your undergoing the procedure and if for good medical reasons I would take his opinion seriously.  You might ask your cardiologist if he would change his opinion based on a stress treadmill and see if he would agree to this.  Good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD