I smoked a few hits of weed last night for neck pain/spasms and my full Facelift with nose job is in 10 days. Any suggestion?

I am not a heavy marijuana user. I smoke a few tokes 1-2x per week for neck pain and spasms. I was told not to smoke for 30 days but have seen where some docs say 2 weeks. I am in great health other than the neck problems. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Smoking and surgery

You should avoid all forms of smoking prior to surgery as it increases the risk of complications. You should discuss this with your surgeon.

Smoking prior to surgery

Dear Alice,

There is a reason why surgeons advise you not to smoke for 30 days prior to your surgery. It can adversely affect your body's ability to heal. My best advice would be for you to contact your plastic surgeon as he or she knows your case intimately. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and facelifts

Evidence shows that even one cigarette per day can have deleterious effects on wound healing.

So, fess up to your surgeon.  They might want to postpone your surgery.

Any smoking and facial surgery.

I understand your wish to relieve your neck pain, however oral medications could do this without the downsides of smoking marijuana and it's possible complications for surgery.  The small amount you did use is not likely to cause any issues, as long as you do not continue to use from now till 4 weeks after your surgery.  Be sure your surgeon is informed so a safe  surgery can be planned.

Smoking and face lift

You should be OK for the surgery but I would also ask your surgeon. It is most important not to smoke for over 8 weeks on daily basis.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO

Smoking And Surgery

I do not recommend my patients smoke while in the process of healing from surgery.  It increases the risk of complications.  Discuss this with your surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Weed and facelifts

If I didn't operate on patients who smoked the occasional joint, my practice here in Beverly Hills would diminish significantly.  Although it is true that smoking cigarette tobacco substantially increases the risk of post-operative complications and is a significant cause of many diseases, including lung cancer and heart disease, the toke or two you've been taking should not impair your health, nor your recovery and result. There is quite a large body of data indicating that marijuana  may have positive effects on health in general, but you should fess up to your surgeon and anesthetist about it before your surgery. No one will condemn you for it. I don't know the legality of weed in Arkansas so my comments might have to be filtered through that aspect. 

Norman Leaf, MD

Smoking marijuana before facial surgery

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• Smoking anything before surgery is ill-advised.
  • It increases the risk of poor healing and of complications.
  • There is increasing evidence that marijuana is as bad, if not worse for us, than tobacco.
  • Let your surgeon know and do not smoke anything before surgery.
  • If you have neck pain/spasms, your surgeon must figure out how to control it before surgery or you will be smoking afterwards as well - and that will be just as bad.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Smoking after surgery

Thank you for your question. The advice to my patients is not to smoke (anything)  for at least 6 weeks before and after surgery to minimize the issue of healing. I understand that the main reason why you did smoke marijuana was to release the neck pain and spasm, but I am sure that your surgeon is able to prescribe for you alternative medications to address the current problem. My suggestion would be not to risk a delayed healing after a facelift by smoking when there are drugs able to help you without affecting this delicate phase.

Please do contact your surgeon and ask for his/her advice on this specific issue. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

All the best

Andrea Marando

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon

Manchester, UK

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon