I have lots of wrinkles on my face. I lost weight and my face has sagged. Will Botox get rid of them?

Sagging Facial Tissue After Weight Loss

Thank you very much for your question, and congratulations on your weight loss. Unfortunately, weight loss can leave behind sagging, lax skin. Dermal fillers can be used to restore lost facial volume and plump wrinkles that result from a loss of tissue elasticity. Botox, on the other hand, works best on dynamic wrinkles, or those caused by repetitive movement. My suggestion is that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who can explain all of the available options to smooth your skin and restore a youthful appearance.

Botox for Wrinkles

Botox is a great option for softening of the wrinkles. For skin sagging you might benefit from dermal fillers or lasers. I recommend having an in person consultation to get the best treatment plan. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox for facial sagging

Botox affects muscle action. It weakens them. Wrinkles that are cause by that will respond to Botox injections. Sagging however will need some volume correction (filler or fat) to give the illusion of lifting, unless you are willing to consider surgery.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combination treatments best for facial volume loss and wrinkles

Botox softens dynamic wrinkles, those wrinkles worsened by muscle contraction. Examples of dynamic wrinkles on the face include frown lines, horizontal forehead lines, and crow's feet. Botox does not help with volume loss related to age or weight loss. To treat facial volume loss, fillers are commonly used. Fillers such as Voluma, Sculptra, Radiesse, and Restylane Lyft are great for addressing volume loss in the midface/cheeks and to lift the face. Fillers such as Juvederm Ultra/UltraPlus and Restylane are commonly used to treat nasolabial folds, marionette lines and pre-jowl sulcus. Finally, fillers such as Restylane Silk, Volbella, and Belotero can be used to address lip volume loss and perioral lines. 

In my experience the best nonsurgical treatment options for facial volume loss and skin laxity are combination treatment with Botox, fillers, and energy based devices including lasers, RF, and ultrasound devices. All patients should be started on a good skincare regimen to stimulate collagen production, reduce collagen loss, prevent elastin degradation, and counter the negative effects of the sun and free radicals on the skin.

I recommend you see an experienced aesthetic physician for an in-person evaluation.  

Botox is great to prevent wrinkles with motion.  I don't think it will help with what you are asking.  You may want to consider a combination of good skin care, laser and fillers.  Stay skintastic. 

Sandra M. Johnson, MD
Fort Smith Dermatologist

Wrinkles after weight loss and Botox

Botox is very effective for dynamic (become visible with animation) wrinkles in the forehead, glabella, and crows feet areas.  Of course there are many other areas Botox is used with good results but these are the major areas.  Wrinkles that are present at rest will typically not be improved much with Botox and may require other treatments such as skin resurfacing, fillers, or surgery.  Unfortunately I am not able to comment much without a picture but my recommendation is to seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Many patients that lose significant weight ultimately need midface, facelift, and neck lift procedures with significant fat grafting to restore volume loss and reposition sagging facial tissues.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Wrinkles and Botox

Botox can treat lines of facial animation. Wrinkles may be related more to skin laxity. Best of luck.

Lots of wrinkles and sag

Thank you for your question.  Without a photograph, it is difficult to recommend a course of action.  That being said, Botox treatments are a good option to soften wrinkling caused by muscle contracture.  Skin laxity is often corrected with dermal fillers and/or surgical procedures.  Best to seek an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to explore the options.  Good luck.

Sagging wrinkles from weight loss

This is generally corrected with fillers and not Botox. I can't give a better recommendation without pictures but often Botox is used in combination for areas of active wrinkles. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Will Botox help facial wrinkles?

Thank you for your question!  Typically Botox is used to help smooth wrinkles in the face that are caused by facial motion. In other words, wrinkles formed from the natural motion of the forehead and between the eyes can be dramatically reduced by relaxing these muscles.  It sounds as if you have had loosening and sagging of skin after weight loss, which may need to be tightened and/or redraped.  

I would consult with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation for a full evaluation.  You may be a candidate for facial fillers or for a surgical procedure such as a facelift.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon