Did my explant get botched? One breast deformed/concave/less volume/nipple inverted (Photos)

I am devastated by how terrible the left breast looks. It is 5 days after surgery. Did something go wrong in surgery? What can be done to correct this? Was my breast tissue destroyed/removed in surgery? I'm 44 years old. My explanted implants were 325 cc, silicone, over the muscle, in place for 13 years. Before this pair, I had saline implants under the muscle for 10 years.

Breast implant removal

It is difficult to predict how breasts will look after explantation, however having deformities or concave areas can occur.  You are still early in the recovery process and the shape can change as your tissues contract.  I encourage you to discuss your concerns with your surgeon as he/she is most familiar with the details of your surgery.

Explantation of implants

Thank you for your photo's and question.  This is entirely normal after having implants removed.  Your PS should have advised you on what to expect since it is normal to have wrinkling, rippling, concave looking breasts after having them removed .  Age and gravity is a factor as well with regard to losing elasticity in our skin.  You would at least require a breast lift with or without an implant, that is completely up to you as far as having implants again.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Implants removed - and breasts look awful

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• I understand your distress completely - this isn't how one would want to look,
  • But one can't have an opinion without knowing more -
  • And one can't predict the shape and look of the breast once implants are removed.
  • Having implants in place for many years will stretch and flatten breast tissue as well as the skin
  • Removing the capsule when implants are removed can create or reveal tissue irregularities.
  • I suggest that you return to your surgeon, explain your entirely understandable distress and discuss options for improving your result later on.
  • This could be fat transfers, a small lift, a small implant

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Devastated

It is very difficult as an outside observer who did not see you pre surgery to answer your questions. Your surgeon may have removed capsule, scarred breast tissue, etc. You need to ask your surgeon these questions.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Concave

It is very difficult to give an opinion about your surgery without reviewing all of the information surrounding your procedure.  It is possible that your problem existed before surgery, or was created by the surgery.  The best option for your now is to return to visit your surgeon and discuss the procedure and outcome with him/her.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal results

I can understand your concerns with the irregularity of your breast after having your implants removed, but you are very early post surgery and things will change. How long your implants were in, the size of the implants and how much pressure the implants placed on your tissues can affect the result after removal. Keep in touch with your board certified surgeon through the healing process. I suspect this will improve with time as the swelling decreases and the skin tightens. If it remains irregular, there are options, such as fat grafting, or mastopexy to improve the contour but you should wait 6 months before you consider any additional procedures.

Give it some time

The old implants most likely have caused that area (the indentation shown in your pics) of your natural breast tissue to thin, which happens with all implants to some degree. This can be more pronounced after removal of submammary (above the muscle) implants or if they were large implants. With a few months time that area will likely change and get better. If it doesn't improve enough, you may consider fat grafting after talking with your PS. Make sure you see your PS for follow up. You will be okay.