Skin Fold After Gynecomastia Surgery? (photo)

I had gynecomastia surgery 5 weeks ago. It was a mild case left worse than right. There is a small skin fold under the left areola that is very disturbing. My surgeon said we need to wait four more months to know how it's really going to look and that his hunch is that it will heal just fine. I understand the inflammatory process is still going on.... but how is that extra skin going to smoothen out? Where is it going to go?

Skin Fold After Gynecomastia Surgery?

That is a biologic process in wound healing called retraction/contraction. Or you might better understand it as a type of internal shrinkage. 

Gynecomastia and skin fold

At one month this still may be swelling. Check with your surgeon and see if he recommends massage.

Healing & Recovery After Male Breast Reduction

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Skin contour issues five weeks after gynecomastia excision are not uncommon.

The wound healing process commonly great contour issues of the skin and subcutaneous tissues after gynecomastia treatment. Most of these will disappear or become substantially improve with time. Keep in touch with your plastic surgeon.

Skin Fold after Gynecomastia Surgery

In general, 5 weeks is too early to appreciate the final results.  Give yourself 6 months or so and then reevaluate.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mild Skin Fold

Your overall result is excellent.  I do appreciate that small amount skin wrinkling.  I agree with your PS you should wait several months and then re-evaluate the area.  These tend to resolve themselves.

Dr. ES