Hematoma After Gynecomastia Surgery?

I had undergone gynecomastia surgery on 23rd Feb 2012. A few hours after the surgery the doctor discovered I have got a hematoma. As this PS uses drains after gynecomastia surgery a lot of liquid/fluid has been collected from my right side of the chest where hematoma is located. The drainage of the left surgery has gone down to 7.5 ml. But the right one is varying like on 2nd march discharge from the drain was 15 ml and the very next day it was around 48 ml. How long can it take to heal completely?

Hematoma After Gynecomastia Surgery

Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation. Results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic.

It is also imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

#Complications after gynecomastia surgery are rare, but just as possible as they can be with female breast surgery. #Infection, #bleeding, #seroma and #hematoma to name a few, are all very rare.  Yet, they can happen. Its suggested that you speak and see your plastic surgeon or their licensed medical staff to discuss your #healing concerns.

Hematoma After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi kaka8cr7,

Thanks for the post. Hematoma is a risk with surgery. The most important aspect is that it is identified and treated. Typically a drain is not adequate to drain a hematoma and a more effective technique is to open the incision and evacuate the hematoma.  Drains are utilized for watery fluid that can accumulate after excision of gland tissue and not for prevention or treatment of thicker formed clot. Stay in close communication with your plastic surgeon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Hematoma

Hematomas can happen.  It doesn't mean that the doctor did anything wrong.  I usually wait for less than 30 cc over 24 hours for 2 days to pull drains.

Tim Neavin, MD

Drains after Gynecomastia Surgery

I do not use drains in these surgeries, but you will probably have continued drainage until all of the hematoma has liquified and the area starts to seal.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

After gynecomastia hematoma is removed by reoperation not by drains.

Drains remove fluids that do not clots. Hematoma is a collection of blood which is clotting. It cannot be evacuated through drain in require surgical removal.

Drains, Fluid and Healing After Male Breast Reduction

Fortunately for you that a drain was in place.  The drain with the hematoma will have to remain a bit longer but barring infection your total healing time should remain about the same.

Dr. ES

Drainage after Gynecomastia Surgery

Each doctor has their opinion on when drains should be removed after a surgical procedure. In my practice we remove them when they drain less than 25cc in a 24 hour period. I recommend following up with your plastic surgeon to find out when they should be removed.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Hematoma and gynecomastia

Usually drains do not stay in more than a week in my practice for gynecomastia surgery.  Best to follow closely with your surgeon.