Can subcision alone improve an atrophic scar?

I have deep acne scarring on my cheeks. I'm just curious if subcision alone would raise an atrophic scar, or at least show a slight improvement. Isn't it that when you break the fibrous band it can stimulate collagen, so can i incorporate Suction Method instead of filler? Or it really need to have a filler to plump it up after subcision? Thank you very much!

Yes, subcision alone can improve depressed, and anchored scars

Absolutely the procedure can be a stand alone one, or combined with fillers- autologous blood. Scars that respond best to subcision are ones that move with animation. See the video link below for a way to examine scars. 

Often multiple sessions are needed. There are numerous methods to perform their procedure using everything from small needle to special sharp edge needles. The video below also shows how I perform standard subcision using both filler needles for small tethered scars, then a larger 21 and 23 g. needle for larger, deeper and more severe scars. 

A combination of surgical, filler and energy devices targeted at specific scar types will give you the very best results. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Subscision Alone? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, subcision alone is a effective method of treating depressed acne scars. It works especially well for saucer-shaped scars. We have found that pre-treating with Aspirin for one week or combining with Toradol at the time of treatment is also advantageous. We use a suction device postoperatively to  assist in the correction.Multiple sessions may be necessary. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Atrophic Scars and Treatment

A combination approach is best used for these type of scars with lasers such as eMatrix or Fraxel and fillers as well.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green