Silhouette Lift or Facelift for 34 Year Old Woman?

Silhouette Instalift in your thirties

Thank you for your question.  The Silhouette Instalift is a minimally invasive solution that delivers a great option to patients for whom a facelift surgery is not their preferred approach. There have been several different suture lifts in the past that may have been pulled off the market because due to complications.  The Instalift differs in that the material is resorbable and the suture material actually stimulates collagen as well.  One of the main materials used in the Instalift is the main active ingredient in Sculptra which is commonly used by advanced injectors for facial rejuvenation for collagen stimulation.  In addition, Instalift uses bi-directional cones to reposition the subdermal tissue and facial skin to a more lifted and youthful position.  Over time the implanted sutures and cones also stimulate your own collagen for natural and long lasting results. Please contact a Silhouette certified physician for a consultation.  Best of luck!

Thread Lifts Don't Last

Thread lifts of any kind including the Silouette Lift, Countour Lift, etc just don't last. The small barbs on the sutures (threads) just pull through the soft tissue of your fact until you are left with little signs of improvement and permanent foreign bodies (i.e. threads) left behind. There are a number of mini facelifts to choose from with minimal scars rather than a traditional facelift. My advice is to see a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon to see if you are a good candidate.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Silhouette Instalift vs Facelift

The Silhouette Instalift consists of absorbable threads fitted with mini-cones that lift the lower facial skin and stimulate collagen.  The jawline can often be improved with the Silhouette Instalift, as well.  This is a fairly pain free procedure performed with local anesthesia in the office.  There are restrictions for a week or two to your activities, after the procedure, to ensure that the cones stay in position.  Within a few days you will see a refreshed results that is natural looking. Your appearance will actually improve over the 6 months that it takes for the threads and cones to absorb and, in doing so, stimulate your native collagen. A surgical facelift is for more extensive laxity of the facial tissues. It lifts the mid-face, smooths the jawline and tightens the sagging neck.  The healing phase is longer but for the appropriate individual it is a great rejuvenating procedure. The question arises why a 34 year old would require either procedure. Unless there is a large amount of loose and sagging tissue from weight loss it would be preferable to seek out other alternatives.

Jeffrey S. Rosenthal, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Is Silhouette instalift right for a 30 year old?

Age alone doesn't determine whether a procedure is right for you.  The issue is what you are trying to achieve and what you look like now (and unfortunately the photo attached is not revealing).  Silhouette instalift might be ideal for a 34 year old who lost a lot of weight and has saggin skin or who has a heavy lower face relative to her upper face and enough laxity to allow the skin to be pulled.    

It would be unusual for a 34 year old to require a surgical facelift.  Ive seen that only after a patient lost 100+ pounds.  

And remember that there are a plethora of other noninvasive procedures available.  My recommendation is that you seek consultation with an experienced cosmetic dermatologist or plastic or facial plastic surgeon.  Discuss your concerns with her and find out what she thinks would be most helpful for you to achieve your goals.

I hope this answer was helpful.  Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Silhouette Instalift in your 30s

Thank you for your question. Silhouette InstaLift™ is a minimally invasive procedure that is able to target the deeper layers of skin on a patient’s face and neck. This new target area makes the procedure stand out from existing procedures that treat the surface or outer layers of the skin, such as wrinkles, brown spots or lost volume. The Silhouette InstaLift™ is a very simple procedure that takes only 30-45 minutes and provides amazing results. A facelift on the other hand is also has its place in facial rejuvenation and gives great results when properly used. After a facelift you will experience some potentially significant discomfort, bruising, and swelling. The amount and duration of these effects will depend on the amount of lifting necessary, but it sometimes lasts as long as two weeks after surgery. After the first week, though, you will likely be able to return to work and can wear concealing makeup. Results will continue to improve for up to several months after surgery. Which one is better for you depends on your symptoms of facial aging and your cosmetic goals. I recommend getting a in person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Facelift generally not the best option

It is unusual to consider a facelift at the age of 34. There are exceptions, for example, a patient who has lost significant amount of weight loss .It is more common to see  eyelid aging changes at an earlier age rather than the presence of a jowl. However, each patient has to be evaluated on an individual basis. At this age you may be better served with fillers and maybe Botox along with an effective skin care program.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 34

If you are concerned about the tear trough, Restylane to the area may be a better choice and far less invasive.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Options For 34 Year Old

I would say that at this point, you are too young for a face lift. I would suggest less invasive options, such as Sculptra or fillers. These types of procedures will help resolve issues you are experiencing without undergoing surgery. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Silhouette Lift or Facelift for 34 Year Old Woman? You may be too young for either I would consider something minimally invasive

You may be too young for either I would consider something minimally invasive. Filling just might be the best thing for you and you can avoid all the incisions.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift limitations

As a Facial Plastic Surgeon I have significant experience in correcting the problems related to thread lifts. The threads often extrude, coil up, become infected or simply fail. Its not a useful technique and is really just a fad. You are much safer at your age to have conservative maintenance treatment with skin care, fillers and Botox if needed. Don't believe the hype. Attached here is a video that explains age related changes to our facial features over time. Cheers!

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon