Opinions on Silhouette Lift?

Have you heard of the Silhouette Lift? If so, what is your opinion on this? Thanks!

Silhouette Insta Lift - USA

Finally a minimally minor surgical lift can now be offered as an alone technique or as an add on to open facelifting. The biggest issue is the cost of the Silhouette Sutures (at $100 - $150 per suture). If using 14 sutures than the costs becomes high for the product in the $2,000 range. Thus the fee would be in the $4,000 range. The longevity is 18 months to 2 years. The major advantages are: no true incisions or pre auricular scars, very very fast recovery, under local anesthesia, short operative time (after getting experience), very satisfied patients. So now I offer Face/Neck Lifting as 4 categories with possible combinations. 1. Silhouette Insta Lift, 2. Mini FL/NL, 3. Midi FL/NL - SMAS, 4. Full open Face/Neck/Submental Lift. I think Sinclair Pharma has opened a new horizon for simple acceptable face lifting. 

The 'Silhouette Lift' IS NOT a thread lift! Yes, it uses a prolene suture with PolyLastic Acid (Sculptra) cones along its length. A completely NEW concept. I at first was VERY spectacle but after receiving hands on training and now having preformed over 25 cases -ALL I CAN SAY IT WORKS! 

Update 11/20/2015: After having preformed 35 cases on various patients over 98% are happy. I have divided the Silhouette Lift in to differing categories based upon different concepts.
Based upon anatomic areas: 1. Mid Face Lift - 8 sutures; 2. Temple Lift 2 to 4 sutures; 3. Neck lift 2 to 4 sutures+; 5. A combination of the previous areas.
Based upon age without previous facial surgeries: 1. Under 35 -  mid face &/or temple lifts. 2. Under 45 - mid face, temple, neck. 3. Under 55 - same as 45. 4. Older Any combination. With all categories addition of fillers, peels, Botox, fat grafts is offered.
Based upon previous FaceLift surgeries: 1. Add a slight additional lift - 2 to 4 sutures. 2. In combination with secondary FaceLifts. 
Please understand we all have had patients request no cutting or scars. The Silhouette Lift offers an alternative temporary solution. More to follow.....

Update: Over 40 cases done on ages from 33 to 72 years. Used from 2 to 16 sutures. VERY impressed results. Plus after 3 months the Scupltra cones cause increased collagen deposition making the results even better!

Update: So there is NO confusion, there are 2 options in the Silhouette Lift Suspension Sutures. #1 Is the original Silhouette Lift sutures which are unidirectional PLL cones with a suture of prolene. #2 Is the Bi-dircetional Silhouette InstaLift Suspension Sutures using PLL cones in opposite directions on an absorbable suture. The #2 is just been released in the USA with FDA approval for mid face suspension. The #s around the world of the cases using this suspension sutures are 130,000+ and counting!!! Results are very good. It MUST be stated this is NOT a THREAD LIFT!!! There are very few certified US doctors offering these suspension bi-directional sutures at present. But training courses are being offered. So more and more doctors will become qualified.
On another note, the technique must be strictly observed. The 'u' insertion technique is incorrect use of these bi-directional suspension sutures. As was shown on the Doctor's Show recently. This "u" placement technique does not last and is NOT recommended. The correct insertion is to take advantage of the bi-dirctional forces. 
Till next time. Regards Dr Darryl J Blinski, MIAMI

Update 01/30/2017: It has been a while since I posted here. I am rarely using the Silhouette InstaLift sutures for a few reasons. They are only FDA approved for mid face, thus other areas of use are 'off-label' use. Next the learning curve fr correct placement is more difficult for the non surgeons using them. I say this because I have been redoing many cases from non surgeons whom placed these sutures incorrect, even though they were supposedly trained? Also I must state the expensive per suture is outrageous! Then as a end user the costs approaches that of a mini face life. The positive uses are in the temple area as a 'u' placed suture for a lift effect. The sales company - Thermi Aesthetics - is a very reputable company. And finally, I have been using the PDO Threads or NOVA Threads as a comparison or a competitor. 

Silhouette instalift a great new option in the usa

Silhouette sutures are dissolving sutures that incorporate small cones also made of suture material along their length.  The sutures differ in length and in the number of cones.  With just a few tiny injections of local anesthetic, the sutures are inserted into the skin in the direction we want to achieve lift.  After they are placed, they are pulled until we feel the skin catch the cones.  The procedure is noninvasive, requires no sedation and afterward, the patient can go back to work. The areas treated will feel sore and some swelling and bruising is possible, but the patient can go back to work immediately. The area treated already looks lifted immediately.  

Silhouettte instalift with silhouette sutures differs from the older 'thread lifts' because the silhouette suture gradually dissolves.  As it does it is replaced with new collagen.  That means it has a first action of directly providing lift and a secondary action of acting like a filler to improve the skin.  This adds both safety and efficacy.

It is important to remember that silhouette instalift is not the same as a surgical facelift.  Instead it is an option for patients who are not ready physically or emotionally for a facelift (or a second facelift).  It works well used in conjunction with other noninvasive rejuvenation techniques like ulthera, thermage, fraxel and injectables.

I hope that answers your question.  Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

InstaLift By Silhouette

The Instalift treatment is a very simple and easy procedure to give sagging skin a temporary lift. It usually requires between 2 to 5 sutures per cheek and is priced between 1500 and 4000 dollars. It is a good option for patients who do not want or need the open surgical procedures such as a mini facelift or the standard facelift.

The results therefore should not be compared to facelifts but to other nonsurgical methods such as ThermiTight. In my practice , it completed the plethora of non-surgical techniques I offer my patients and I have been happy with results. 

Ahmet R. Karaca, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

The silhouette lift

There so many different names out there, just to attract patients to have it done.  These things are scary, and you must be very careful.  Many of these "techniques" are just to pull your money out of your pocket, with very poor results.

So, please try to stay away from these things.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

One of the best new procedures for jowls and nasolabial folds

The Silhouette lift consists of fibers made of an already approved biodegradable filler substance that is inserted under the skin to lift the soft tissue of the face.  The results so far have been excellent and we have been able to achieve about 1/2 of a centimeter of lift in the jowls, one of the most hated features of aging and also one of the most difficult to treat with non-surgical modalities.  Fillers, lasers, radio frequency and ultrasound devices can all be used to improve the jowl area but probably can't do more than 2 mm in terms of lift. The procedure isn't much more involved for the patient than getting a filler, and the downtime and/or risks are probably similar (bruising and swelling are more common, there are other rare side effects). What is more, the filler substance the fibers are made of stimulates the skin to make new collagen, producing an effect that gets better over a 3 to 6 month period.  Overall, I believe this is one of the best new procedures for getting significant results with minimal risks.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Silhouette Lift: Is it right for me?

The Silhouette Lift was approved by the FDA in the spring pf 2015 as a threaded suture technique to lift the laxed tissues of the face. It is based on the use of small absorbable cones which are attached to a suture. These cones impinge on the subcutaneous tissue of the face as the tissue is advanced. Usually three sutures are used on each side of the face. The idea of the cones not only  is to assist in the tissue advancement but also to stimulate collagen in the underlying area.

The operation is designed primarily for the patient with medium skin thickness and  the early presence of  jowl and cheek folds .  Local anesthesia is used for the puncture sites. No sedation is required for the procedure. The age for most candidates is  usually between 45-55 years. Heavily sun-damaged and thick skin patients are less ideal for the procedure. Although the results are reported to be lasting up to two years its longevity is not known  since it is a new technique. Early patient responses  seem very encouraging. As with any procedure patient selection is the key and of course finding the right  surgeon should put you in good stead. 

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

As of 2016, the FDA approved Silhouette Instalift is available in the United States, and is a beautiful treatment option

Your question is so popular and there is much confusion as to Silhouette Instalift and the many previous thread lifts.  As an injection specialist, a doctor who has chosen a very isolated focus on the dermal filler treatments and non-surgical treatments, I find the Silhouette Instalift an ideal and very exciting treatment to provide patients. The bidirectional cones and knotted thread made of completely dissolvable poly l lactic acid (the identical material of Sculptra) is providing up to 2 mm lift and collagen stimulation, is a very noticable - yet subtle- improvement for so many patients. This is not a comparble treatment outcome to a surgical facelift, but it is also ideal for many patients where a facelift may not be... 

With results lasting up to 2 years, an all natural enhancement with appreciative results, I am thrilled to be providing this minimally invasive treatment to men and women along with dermal filler and Botox. Silhouette Instalift is not only a natural extension, it's a great foundation involved in treatment plans that will help achieve results my patients are desiring and expecting.

This is my opinion of Silhouette Instalift!

Dave Christianson, MD

Dave Christianson, MD
Saint Paul Physician

High incidence of patient satisfaction in California

We have had excellent short term (less than 6 month) results with the InstaLift, and have performed quite a few of them and are doing 4-5 a week. This is a minor procedure (along the lines of a filler) that, for the first time, actually shifts and lifts the facial structures to a more youthful position without appearing over done. The company's claims (based on their European data) is that the procedure lasts 18-24 months.  I specialize in surgery of the aging face, but provide an integrative approach utilizing non-invasive, minimally invasive, and non-invasive procedures.  This procedure is great for the patient who seeks little or no downtime, and likes a natural restorative appearance. This patient is willing to accept a 1.5-2 year result, but is not ready, or does not desire a facelift.  We have done patients in every age group. While multiple fillers with ultrasound tightening procedures probably come to similar cost, the InstaLift appears more naturally rejuvenating. We have also had good luck with neck rejuvenation using the InstaLift.

Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silhouette Instalift

Thank you for your question.  The silhouette Instalift is a minimally invasive procedure that helps to support some of lax facial tissues that onset with aging.  It is one of several options that are available to help address the aging process.  Specifically, it helps to soften areas of the face including the nasolabial folds and the marionette region or the jowls.  Resorbable bidirectional sutures with cones are used to recruit the tissue laxity away from these areas of concerns.  The procedure is done in-office with local anesthesia.  I use this in conjunction with other non-invasive medical treatments such as Injectables, lasers, and other collagen stimulating energy devices.  Having been one of the first physicians to offer this in Houston, I can certainly say that it has added to the non-surgical options that I can offer my patients.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Silhouette lift-worth it?

Thank you for your question.  There are so many branded lifts out there, that it can be very confusing.  The Silhouette Lift is a variation on the thread lift.  The idea is to "lift" the tissue with barbed sutures in a minimally invasive fashion and is most suited to patients with mild aging changes.  The results may last up to 18 months.  In my experience, patients are more satisfied with the results of an actual surgical lift.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Elizabeth Whitaker, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon