Silhouette Lift: Experience of Re-tightening Coned-threads?

I am considering the Silhouette lift. I understand that the results will only last around 3 years. As I am (according to my surgeon) probably about 6 years out from needing a real mini face lift, I want to know of anyone who has experience of retightening the threads.

I know the Silhouette people say it's *possible*, but has anyone actually done it? My surgeon doesn't believe putting *more* threads in, in 3 years time is a good option and I agree.

Silhouette InstaLift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Silhouette Instalift is a minimally invasive procedure that is able to target the deeper layers of skin on a patient’s face and neck. This new target area makes the procedure stand out from existing procedures that only treat the surface or outer layers of the skin. InstaLift has absorbable lift sutures that tighten the skin and stimulate collagen as they dissolve over time. Results will continue to improve for up to several months after surgery. Since the sutures dissolve over time they cannot be re-tightened. You can however opt to add additional sutures if you choose. For more information, please get a in person consultation from a board-certified dermatologist. 

I have a better idea--how about using that money for a cruise?

You would have a better time, and more lasting good memories than if you "wasted" your time, healing, and money on any type of thread lift, no matter how much "new and improved."

These procedures can make some improvements, sometimes even ones that border on being visible, but the barbs bend over, lose contact with the tissues that are "lifted," and sometimes poke through the skin surface. Visible cords or lines from the threads are also a concern, and most patients end up having them out (which takes a second operation and recovery). Just say "No!"

Clink your martini glass to those of us who told you the truth, and spit overboard to those who would sell you a "worthless" operation! Cheers!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Thread Lift

Whether a thread lift lasts 3 years or not, don't worry about tightening the threads - worry about all the problems with this technique. Excellent surgeons involved in the original use of this product had such disappointing results they no longer do this surgery.

Instalift thread duration

This is  great question that will help a lot of people. The instalift silhouette sutures that are presently FDA approved are made of poly-L-lactic acid. The tightening effect is two fold. It is partially from the "gathering", but more importantly form the foreign body reaction that happens to the thread over the next 6 months. This reaction causes the formation of both Collagen 1 and 3. The threads themselves resorb at 18 months. The collagen "scar band" however stays. Scar tissue is stronger than normal tissue and tighten, or shorten, with time. Therefore you are left with a type of natural suspension that is very long lasting. Because these threads do resorb if the need does arrive you can always add more later but often this is not necessary. 

Gail Humble, MD
San Francisco Physician

You are unable retighten Silhouette Soft threads

Silhouette Soft is a biodegradable product, meaning that is dissolves over time in the tissues, it leaves a scaffolding of collagen in its wake hence maintaining the results. On average the effects last for 18 months not 3 years. 

I worry about  threads that can be retightened as this  is a potential source of infection/

Thread lifts give  great results if used in the right patient with the correct indications done by the correct doctor.

Silhouette Instalift

Thank you for your question.  The silhouette Instalift is a minimally invasive procedure that helps to support some of lax facial tissues that onset with aging.  It is one of several options that are available to help address the aging process.  Specifically, it helps to soften areas of the face including the nasolabial folds and the marionette region or the jowls.  Resorbable bidirectional sutures with cones are used to recruit the tissue laxity away from these areas of concerns.  The procedure is done in-office with local anesthesia.  I use this in conjunction with other non-invasive medical treatments such as Injectables, lasers, and other collagen stimulating energy devices. 

As with many non-surgical procedures, they can serve to help age gracefully and delay or obviate the need for surgery to help meet your aesthetic goals.

Thread lifts are more wishful thinking than proper lifting technique

I'd avoid any type of thread lifting technique, no matter the suture or thread type and what is being promised.  These techniques have so many technical flaws from fixation issues, to blunt/blind needle insertion that can injury important structures, puckering, bunching, potential erosion of the skin by the thread and infection that they are IMHO, a lousy option for anyone, ever!  I'd have consult with surgeons and get your options for reliable face Lifting techniques.

Silhouette InstaLift

There is not a good way to re-tighten the threads particularly after several years because the Silhouette

InstaLift is absorbable, so your body will absorb it. The threads are made from a material that forms collagen so you wouldn’t be able to find the thread and re-tighten.  It is possible to add newer threads or you might need to proceed to the surgical correction if needed.

Charles M. Boyd, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

To Instalift or not to Instalift? That is the ?

SI is a great procedure for most pts as long as the overlying skin is thick enough.  Using Thermismooth face prior to SI will help maximize the skins health and really give the best long term outcome.  The SI will stimulate your body to make it's own collagen just as the Thermismooth does. So when you use both you really stimulate your skin to be younger and healthier giving you a look of a younger healthier you.  If you have SI +/- Thermismooth you should be able to keep placing new SI strands every 2 to 4 years and keep your skin looking great.  There is no real way to re-tighten since  the strands are absorbed by your body...that's what stimulates the collagen to form.  Ask your doctor about adding Thermismooth to your anti-aging regiment.

Silhouette InstaLift™ threads cannot be re-tightened.

Thank you for your question. The threads used during Silhouette InstaLift™ procedures typically dissolve at around the 18-month mark. Therefore, it’s not possible to tighten the threads, but it is technically possible to add more for a touch-up procedure. I suggest consulting with a surgeon who is knowledgeable about the procedure before making your choice. Good luck!