Silhouette Lift: Experience of Re-tightening Coned-threads?

I am considering the Silhouette lift. I understand that the results will only last around 3 years. As I am (according to my surgeon) probably about 6 years out from needing a real mini face lift, I want to know of anyone who has experience of retightening the threads.

I know the Silhouette people say it's *possible*, but has anyone actually done it? My surgeon doesn't believe putting *more* threads in, in 3 years time is a good option and I agree.

I have a better idea--how about using that money for a cruise?

You would have a better time, and more lasting good memories than if you "wasted" your time, healing, and money on any type of thread lift, no matter how much "new and improved."

These procedures can make some improvements, sometimes even ones that border on being visible, but the barbs bend over, lose contact with the tissues that are "lifted," and sometimes poke through the skin surface. Visible cords or lines from the threads are also a concern, and most patients end up having them out (which takes a second operation and recovery). Just say "No!"

Clink your martini glass to those of us who told you the truth, and spit overboard to those who would sell you a "worthless" operation! Cheers!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Silhouette Lift: lifts the most from your wallet

If you are not ready for a face lift, use your money toward facial injectables or fat grafting.  Suspension lifts have very poor short-term and long-term results an din general have the least amount of value (improvement for the dollar spent)

Sam Naficy, MD

Thread Lift

Whether a thread lift lasts 3 years or not, don't worry about tightening the threads - worry about all the problems with this technique. Excellent surgeons involved in the original use of this product had such disappointing results they no longer do this surgery.

Silhouette lift?

Thank you for your question. There are many branded "lifts" on the market, so this can be very confusing. some can refer to minimally invasive facelift techniques such as a variation on a thread lift. These techniques are best suited to patients with mild aging changes. Moderate to severe aging changes would more likely benefit from a more traditional facelift. I would recommend consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss what option is best for you.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Face Lift

I am not a big supporter of the thread lifts.  We do not offer that procedure due to the low percentage of sustained benefit.  There are some who do get prolonged benefit, but the numbers are small from the ones we see.  I would consider a mini lift if you can visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and they recommend a facelift.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Minilift is a better Threadlift alternative

I agree with the posts - very few surgeons will recommend "retightening" threads, and very few are happy with the results long term.

If you have skin laxity that looks good when you pull in the mirror, you may be a candidate for a 1-hour minilift procedure.  These can be performed under local anesthesia with little downtime.  Be sure to consult with a surgeon that performs a lot of mini-lifts before proceeding.

The video below discusses the various recovery times from facelift procedures.  Best of Luck!

Richard Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

More Threads are not a good Idea

I remember very painfully removing every thread I ever put in. The cones were the next generation and seemed to have bigger catch areas(cones) to hold tissue. If the surgeon can put you under a local and easily find where the end of the cone suture is I am sure they can be pulled again, I have done this on occasion. No one should promise you that it will last three years. I agree with most of the others that a Facelift is still the best procedure available today.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Thred Lifts and Their Problems

Thread lifts have been, by and large, a complete waste of time and money for patients.  I don't think that "tweaking" a very imperfect procedure is likely to provide any aesthetic benefit.  I think Dr. Tholen's "cruise advice" is a much better idea than revisiting a poorly conceived technique.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't take a cruise if you are prone to sea sickness.

the promise of threads has not been delivered.  If you are not ready for even a mini-lift consider yourself lucky. use botox, restylane, sculptra, IPL, etc for freshening until you are ready for surgery. remember the point is to look good,  not to  have surgery for the sake of surgery.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Thread lifts are more wishful thinking than proper lifting technique

I'd avoid any type of thread lifting technique, no matter the suture or thread type and what is being promised.  These techniques have so many technical flaws from fixation issues, to blunt/blind needle insertion that can injury important structures, puckering, bunching, potential erosion of the skin by the thread and infection that they are IMHO, a lousy option for anyone, ever!  I'd have consult with surgeons and get your options for reliable face Lifting techniques.