Silhouette Lift: Experience of Re-tightening Coned-threads?

I am considering the Silhouette lift. I understand that the results will only last around 3 years. As I am (according to my surgeon) probably about 6 years out from needing a real mini face lift, I want to know of anyone who has experience of retightening the threads.

I know the Silhouette people say it's *possible*, but has anyone actually done it? My surgeon doesn't believe putting *more* threads in, in 3 years time is a good option and I agree.

Silhouette InstaLift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Silhouette Instalift is a minimally invasive procedure that is able to target the deeper layers of skin on a patient’s face and neck. This new target area makes the procedure stand out from existing procedures that only treat the surface or outer layers of the skin. InstaLift has absorbable lift sutures that tighten the skin and stimulate collagen as they dissolve over time. Results will continue to improve for up to several months after surgery. Since the sutures dissolve over time they cannot be re-tightened. You can however opt to add additional sutures if you choose. For more information, please get a in person consultation from a board-certified dermatologist. 

Thread Lift

Whether a thread lift lasts 3 years or not, don't worry about tightening the threads - worry about all the problems with this technique. Excellent surgeons involved in the original use of this product had such disappointing results they no longer do this surgery.

I have a better idea--how about using that money for a cruise?

You would have a better time, and more lasting good memories than if you "wasted" your time, healing, and money on any type of thread lift, no matter how much "new and improved."

These procedures can make some improvements, sometimes even ones that border on being visible, but the barbs bend over, lose contact with the tissues that are "lifted," and sometimes poke through the skin surface. Visible cords or lines from the threads are also a concern, and most patients end up having them out (which takes a second operation and recovery). Just say "No!"

Clink your martini glass to those of us who told you the truth, and spit overboard to those who would sell you a "worthless" operation! Cheers!

Instalift thread duration

This is  great question that will help a lot of people. The instalift silhouette sutures that are presently FDA approved are made of poly-L-lactic acid. The tightening effect is two fold. It is partially from the "gathering", but more importantly form the foreign body reaction that happens to the thread over the next 6 months. This reaction causes the formation of both Collagen 1 and 3. The threads themselves resorb at 18 months. The collagen "scar band" however stays. Scar tissue is stronger than normal tissue and tighten, or shorten, with time. Therefore you are left with a type of natural suspension that is very long lasting. Because these threads do resorb if the need does arrive you can always add more later but often this is not necessary. 

Gail Humble, MD
San Francisco Physician

You are unable retighten Silhouette Soft threads

Silhouette Soft is a biodegradable product, meaning that is dissolves over time in the tissues, it leaves a scaffolding of collagen in its wake hence maintaining the results. On average the effects last for 18 months not 3 years. 

I worry about  threads that can be retightened as this  is a potential source of infection/

Thread lifts give  great results if used in the right patient with the correct indications done by the correct doctor.

Silhouette Instalift

Thank you for your question.  The silhouette Instalift is a minimally invasive procedure that helps to support some of lax facial tissues that onset with aging.  It is one of several options that are available to help address the aging process.  Specifically, it helps to soften areas of the face including the nasolabial folds and the marionette region or the jowls.  Resorbable bidirectional sutures with cones are used to recruit the tissue laxity away from these areas of concerns.  The procedure is done in-office with local anesthesia.  I use this in conjunction with other non-invasive medical treatments such as Injectables, lasers, and other collagen stimulating energy devices. 

As with many non-surgical procedures, they can serve to help age gracefully and delay or obviate the need for surgery to help meet your aesthetic goals.

Thread lifts are more wishful thinking than proper lifting technique

I'd avoid any type of thread lifting technique, no matter the suture or thread type and what is being promised.  These techniques have so many technical flaws from fixation issues, to blunt/blind needle insertion that can injury important structures, puckering, bunching, potential erosion of the skin by the thread and infection that they are IMHO, a lousy option for anyone, ever!  I'd have consult with surgeons and get your options for reliable face Lifting techniques.

Silhouette Instalift duration

The results of the silhouette suture lift are expected to last 1 - 3 years.  The duration will depend on the quality of your skin, your degree of volume loss, the number of sutures placed, and what other noninvasive procedures you are doing for improvement and maintenance.  

As the sutures gradually dissolve, the surrounding skin experiences an improvment in collagen which helps to maintain and improve your results.  Because they dissolve, the sutures are not re-tightened. Instead, some patients may decide to have additional sutures placed in 1 - 2 years as needed.  

Remember that silhouette instalift is just one aspect of a noninvasive rejuvenation program which may include soft tissue augmentation, tightening procedures like Thermage or Ulthera, lipolysis of a double chin with Kybella or Coolsculpting and a good skin care regimen.

Finally, I agree with your surgeon that these procedures are done either before you are physically or emotionally ready for surgery or to delay the need for a first or second surgery.  They will not replicate surgery.

I hope this answers your question.  Best wishes.

Silhouette lift?

Thank you for your question. There are many branded "lifts" on the market, so this can be very confusing. some can refer to minimally invasive facelift techniques such as a variation on a thread lift. These techniques are best suited to patients with mild aging changes. Moderate to severe aging changes would more likely benefit from a more traditional facelift. I would recommend consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss what option is best for you.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Silhouette Lift: lifts the most from your wallet

If you are not ready for a face lift, use your money toward facial injectables or fat grafting.  Suspension lifts have very poor short-term and long-term results an din general have the least amount of value (improvement for the dollar spent)