I am male and my right breast is larger/bigger than the other, why?

The right side of my chest hurts a little and my right breast is noticeably larger than the left, I'm worried about what this may mean.

Male Breast Asymmetry

Breast #asymmetry is the condition when both breasts are not equal in size. In men, gynecomastia can include only one or both breasts. #Unilateral gynecomastia occurs when only one breast is larger due to gynecomastia, while the other breast is typically normal in both size and shape. #Bilateral asymmetry occurs when gynecomastia is present in both breasts, although each to a different degree. The amount of glandular tissue can affect the size, shape, and location on the chest wall of the enlarged area, the size of the areolas, and protrusion and diameter of the nipples.

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.

In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the #areola often shrinks when #gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola #symmetry may improve.
The conditions that make up #asymmetry can often be corrected to some degree. It is very individual and varies for each patient. Every prospective surgical candidate should discuss this condition with an experienced plastic surgeon prior to surgery. The plastic surgeon’s role is to educate each individual patient as to the possible degree of improvement that can be realistically achieved in his particular case. 

Gynecomastia can be asymmetric.

Gynecomastia can be asymmetric and as it is emerging can cause some discomfort. If this is the case plastic surgeon can help you.

You need to see a surgeon

With your described symptoms it is wise to consult with a surgeon face to face.  You need evaluation and a diagnosis.  Treatment will depend on diagnosis made after evaluation. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Gynecomastia TX

You probably have gynecomastia.You Can look for the right surgeon,

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

you did not give us your age. this would not be so unusual in a younger person but I would be a little suspicious if you were let's say 40 or 50. there can be a normal  asymetry which is only of cosmetic significants. find a good local board certified plastic surgeon and discuss it. Good luck.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Right Breast Larger Than Left

Many men have one breast larger than the other (so do women) this is not unusual. Depending on your age, if you are going through puberty, it is also normal to have swelling of the chest and in most cases it will resolve on its own within a few months up to a couple of years. To find out what is going on it is best you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia for an evaluation. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD