2 months post gynecomastia op, should it be slightly painful when over stretching?

Had gyno surgery to remove glands and minor lipo 2 months ago.The areola area is still slightly tender to touch and when i reach to put my hands above my head it feels like something is pulling just below the lipo incision and its painful at this point.Is this normal 2 months post op?? I also have quiet a lot of scar tissue as its hard around the areola.

Healing & Activity Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia surgery and tenderness

It is not uncommon to have some tenderness with stretching as this is likely scar tissue. Usually this softens with time.

Gynecomastia Post Op

It is normal to feel tightness following gynecomastia surgery.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon as he may suggest massages to help with the healing.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Post op

tightness sensation is normal after gynecomastia surgery.  Scar tissue and swelling can persist for months.  For now, I wouldn't worry about it. It should soften over the next couple of months.

Tim Neavin, MD

Pain after gynecomastia operation

What you're describing is absolutely normal. The resection usually is carried out at the level of the muscle, although the muscle itself is not manipulated. There is inflammation and swelling which will cause the skin and fatty tissue to scar down to the muscle. Over time, this releases and softens. This process can take six months or more at which time your soreness will be gone.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon