I'm 18 years old and I've had gynecomastia for around 5 years now, whats my next step? (Photo)

It's really starting to bother me, I'm not happy with my weight but I avoid losing it because my chest looks really bad at a lower weight. I know that surgery costs a lot so I'm looking for a second opinion on how I should approach my parents about it and also some advice on what kind of surgery I might need.

Gynecomastia

Based on your photos, you would benefit from gynecomastia surgery.  Discuss your concerns with your parents.  They should understand if you talk to them.  Best to you!

Gynecomastia

Hi, thanks for the pictures and for trusting us. I would say that your case could be solved with lipo and tissue removal. Your parents will understand if you talk to them. Good luck !
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia for 5 Years

Unfortunately if you have had gynecomastia for 5 years it is not going to go away without surgery. You should consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia who can explain what options are available to you. There is a lot of information on gynecomastia and how it affects young men on the internet (including the website below), you might show some of these articles to your parents to let them know how much it disturbs you. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia,what to do?

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and pictures.  The surgery you would be looking for is a male breast reduction surgery where breast tissue and fat are removed by a plastic surgeon.  My advice is that you should be honest with your parents and tell them that you are bothered by your gynecomastia.  The only way to treat gynecomastia is by surgery.

Dr. JSB

Types of Possible Gynecomastia at Age 18

Gynecomastia is a common occurrence in boys going through puberty.There are different types of #gynecomastia. 

Categorized as #physiologic gynecomastia, up to 2/3 of boys going through puberty develop some form of gynecomastia. This form of gynecomastia is due to the surges in testosterone and estrogen which often lead to an imbalance of the testosterone:estrogen ratio. Puberty is a difficult time for most boys, with many changes occurring not just physically but also emotionally. Developing gynecomastia during this age can affect the self-image and confidence of a teenager. The peak incidence occurs around 14 years of age.
In up to 75% of boys who develop pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 2 years. In 90% of boys with pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 3 years. So deciding who needs surgery is very important in this age group because a majority of these boys will not need any intervention.

#Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Meanwhile, #Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.