I still have gynecomastia but I have no fat on my body and I've tried everything. Any suggestions? (photos)

Im 17 and 6'0" and I weigh 130 lbs. Ive had gyno since I was 13. My physique is excellent, I have a six pack and a decent pec definition. I swim and play water polo for my school so I burn around 2500 calories everyday. Because I play a sport with basically no clothes you can imagine how hard it is for me to deal with gyno. Also because Im so skinny they are very noticeable. I find myself pinching my nipples to make them less puffy but if it is hot they go straight back. Please help!

Surgery Is the Most Reliable Way to Address Gynecomastia

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. There are different types of #gynecomastia and three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia.

Smaller procedures can actually be done in the office with light oral sedation. Adolescents frequently do better with a light general #anaesthetic.Twilight or IV sedation are another great choice. All procedures are outpatient either in the office or a certified outpatients surgery facility.
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.
Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Gynecomastia

Thanks for the photos.  Exercise won't affect the glandular component.  At 17, it is still possible that gynecomastia will resolve.  However, there is a rather easy solution to it.  Surgery can safely remove the glandular tissue. Be sure to chose a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tim Neavin, MD

Gynecomastia

I have treated many patients that are athletic but have gynecomastia. You have glandular tissue that would benefit from removal to give your nipple/areola area a flatter and more normal appearance. It is a routine procedure with easy recovery. I would recommend discussing this with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine the best option in your situation.

I still have gynecomastia but I have no fat on my body and I've tried everything. Any suggestions?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns regarding breast size/shape. Generally speaking, assuming a young man has achieved a long-term stable weight and there are no “causative agents” involved, surgery may be indicated to treat persistent gynecomastia. It is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue. If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue alone , then liposuction surgery may suffice. When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Options for Gynecomastia at 17 years of age

If you have had gynecomastia since age 13, it most likely is not going to go away by itself. I recommend that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in male breast reduction who will be able to evaluate your condition and explain all of your options. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia, no body fat

Hello, if you are already slim then losing additional body weight likely is not going to remove the issue.  You could simply wait and see if it resolves over the next few years or seek medical attention to discuss ways to surgically remove excess tissue.

Gynecomastia IL

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

There is two types of tissue in male breasts.The tissue are fat and glandular tissue.The fat responds to diet the glandular component does not.Removal of the glandular component requires surgery.

You can have minimal body fat and still have gynecomastia

You work out.  You burn calories.  You have minimal body fat.  You are doing everything right, but you still have gynecomastia (enlarged male breasts).  What's going on?
Gynecomastia can be fatty (generally involving the entire breast) or glandular (generally concentrated deep to the nipple areola).  Glandular tissue is firm, fibrous, and white--this is the same tissue that produces milk in women.  Your gynecomastia is glandular.
Recommendations: 1. Consider evaluation by an endocrinologist (hormone doctor) to rule out an underlying abnormality.  In the vast majority of patients, no underlying hormonal problem is found.  2. If this is negative, consider surgery.  Surgery will entail a small incision along the lower edge of the areola (pigmented skin around the nipple) with removal of the underlying glandular tissue.  All stitches are internal and absorbable.  The scars are generally inconspicuous.  

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

It appears from your photos that you have gynecomastia.  You will need surgery to correct this.  Talk to your parents about seeing a Plastic Surgeon for a consultation.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD