I am a 19 years old boy, I started suffering from men pattern baldness at age of 17 as my father is bald. What do I do?

I am a 19 years old boy, i started suffering from men pattern baldness at age of 17 as my father is bald. Now my forhead is bald and some small spots started to appear. I loose around 40 hairs a day Till now i didn't use any treatment, but i am thinking of using rogain minixidil 5%. My wears about minoxidil is that i start loosing hair more than before, and i am not sure if i use it forever i would have then bad side effects( lets say after 10 years) Please i need advices about using minoxidil?

Doctor Answers 3

Early hair loss

because you are young you should have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon to have your scalp and hair evaluated, discuss the preventative medications, as well as formulate both short term and long term plans. The key is to prevent further loss and keep your native hair for as long as possible.

Chicago Physician

Understanding Hair loss and treatment options: prp and progesterone

Yes, you would need to continue using Minoxidil to keep your results. I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 165 reviews

19 and losing hair

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.


William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.