Will minoxidil help chronic telogen effluvium? 21 y/o male, sudden hair loss since last year and a half.

All of the classic symptoms of CTE are there but the thinning is so bad that I would say i need treatment. Will anything work until I can resolve the trigger? I'm desperate and the trigger won't be easy to deal with especially with hair loss being a part of my life.

Thanks for your query.  You should start minoxidil as soon as possible and along with that you start multivitamins and finasteride if required. You should visit your dermatologist and get a treatment schedule planned and start it immediately and rule out any other underlying medical condition. It generally takes a few months before it stabilizes. Hope it helps. 

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Hair restoration options

Your options organically are multivitamins and saw palmetto, medicinally are minoxidil and finasteride, procedurally PRP/stem cell therapy, and surgically a restoration.  

It would be odd for you or anyone to be in a persistent telogen effluvium phase.  If it is telogen effluvium, then one would expect your hair to regrow after 2-6 months.  Otherwise, minoxidil a great first step, used daily.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Grow, Grow, Grow-Hair Loss Treatments with Minoxidil, prp and progesterone

Yes, Minoxidil is an option.  I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone which can be used in combination with Minoxidil for great results See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

21 year old with hair loss

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

CTE in men

I would advise you to seek expert advice. Chronic telogen effluvium is so rare in a 21 year old male. Acute telogen effluvium (rather than chronic telogen effluvium) can of course occur. Causes include low iron, thyroid problems, stress, diets, drugs, medications.

Pure classic CTE typically occurs in women 35-70. It is rare in men, but especially rare in young men. The most common causes of shedding in young men is early AGA followed by seborrheic dermatita followed by acute telogen effluvium.