The consequences of stopping Minoxidil?

I did use Minoxidil for 6 months (get very good result, but side effects for long term 40 years of use must be bad) then stopped and it looks that I lose even more hairs than before I started to use it. So is this normal to lose more after stopping?

The consequences of stopping Minoxidil?

Thanks for your query. Minoxidil helps you maintain your hair in anagen phase thus it helps in hair regrowth and improves hair density. It can be used indefinitely, it does have side effects like headache, dryness, irritation, if you experience any of these then you should consult your dermatologist. You can use it indefinitely with small breaks in between. You can taper it down to the lowest concentration and maintain in that. Hope it helps

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Side effects of abruptly stopping minoxidil

if you have been using minoxidil for a while and you want to stop it is better to gradually stop using it. Once you stop the product, the conquence is that whatever hair did not fall will shed very fast.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil discontinuation

Minoxidil forces your follicles into a growth phase, and when the signal is gone from your body, normal physiology takes over and those hairs  will shed. 

It is possible that those follicles enter a phase referred to as early release anagen phase due to minoxidil cessation and some will come back 2-6 months after discontinuation.  However, for overall preventative measures, normal hair physiology will take over.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Getting to the Bottom of It--Seeking Hair Loss Treatment: PRP and Progesterone

Yes, you would need to continue using Minoxidil to keep your results. I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone which can be used in combination with Minoxidil for great results See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer