I'm taking 1mg finasteride and using 1ml of minoxidil once a day. What happens If I stop/reduce my finasteride dosage? (Photo)

Can i reduce/stop my finasteride dosage and instead of that, start using minoxidil twice daily? Would it balance the effect of finasteride? I am taking medicines from last 1 month.

It is best to follow your doctor's advice over advice from the Internet. Unless the advice is to follow your doctor's advice.

It is best to follow your doctor's advice over advice from the Internet when taking medications. Unless the advice is to follow your doctor's advice.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Can I reduce or stop my finasteride?

For men with male pattern balding, finasteride helps a great amount. Minoxidil helps a little bit. If you stop finasteride, you may experience hair loss. No, twice daily minoxidil does not balance the effects of oral finasteride based in all clinical studies. Yes, lower doses of finasteride (0.5 mg) may still provide some degree of help so speak to your physician about this. You might also wish to speak to your physician about off label uses of topical finasteride. 

I'm taking 1mg finasteride and using 1ml of minoxidil once a day. What happens If I stop/reduce my finasteride dosage?

Thanks for your query. The ideal dosage of minoxidil is 2 ml a day i.e. 1 ml two times a day. You should take finasteride and minoxidil twice daily for at least 3 months before you taper it down and then you can switch to only topical medications. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Reduction of finasteride

The inhibition of the hormone that produces DHT will be reduced which will result in higher DHT levels and an increase in susceptibility of those hairs that miniaturize due to DHT to continue their progression. 

There will be benefit at the reduced doseage but not as effective as taking it at 1mg.  

Would also recommend if you are going to continue using minoxidil, you'll need more than the suggested 1ml for it to be effective but overall minoxidil is a very effective medication.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

1mg finasteride and using 1ml of minoxidil once a day

ıf you lower the dosage of finasteride below 1 mg /day you may not get positive effect of stopping hair loss. minoxidil does not has the same action of finasteride .

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss Options--Minoxidil, Prp, Progesterone

I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. Usually a combination is needed with Finasteride and Minoxidil. I recommend adding PRP/progesterone injections for best results. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer