When can I atleast do a leg workout or light cardio after gyno surgery?

Hello, I had minor gyno surgery on my right side two weeks ago 8/19/16. I am wearing my compression garment. I was wondering when is the earliest I can atleast do a leg workout? I am going hiking in Colorado in 6 weeks and want to atleast condition my legs somewhat so I'm not total fatigued when I go out there. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Recovery from Gynecomastia Surgery and Resuming Workouts

After your #Gynecomastia #surgery, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.Your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing.Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. However, you must have your doctor's approval before you begin any workout regimen.

Return to exercise after gynecomastia surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the gynecomastia corrective surgery. Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice.  
 In our practice, I ask patients to start walking from day one. Lower extremity exercise, such as use of stationary bicycle, weights, lunges... can be resumed at the two-week mark (sometimes sooner depending on the exact operation performed and how the patient is doing clinically).  Returned to upper body workout and running usually begins 4 to 6 weeks post op.
 Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Post-op gynecomastia

Hi, Thank you for your question. Typically I have patients wait 4 to 6 weeks before they start working out. Each case is different based on healing and the amount of work that was done on the patient during surgery. Please consult with your plastic surgeon prior to resuming your workout routine.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Post-op gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. Traditionally at 4-6 weeks post op #gynecomastia surgery patients can resume their regular workout. Please follow up with your plastic surgeon as each have specific post-op instructions.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Depends upon how "minor" . . .

. . . but in general with limited incisions (and presumably limited deeper tissue removal), and no early fluid collections or setbacks, it should be reasonable to get on a treadmill by 3-4 weeks (with good compression in place), working your way up as tolerated (monitoring for increased swelling, etc), but of course make sure your surgeon knows about your plans/progress . . .  Beautiful out here in CO, the altitude may be your only limitation at 6 weeks!

Returning to Cardio after Gynecomastia Surgery

Dear Mjf001, We typically allow our patients to sit on an exercise bike and gently pedal at 2 weeks post op (no vigorous spin class, no outdoor biking) We do not allow patients to go back to full cardio until they are 6 weeks after surgery. You should always double check with your operating surgeon prior to resuming any activity since all office have different instructions. Good luck!

Gynecomastia surgery and exercise

I usually let my patients go back to light cardio within about 3 weeks, but you should ask your surgeon his preferences.