Walking after gynecomastia surgery?

Hi I hade a liposuction surgery for my Brest 4 days a go and i want to loos a couple pounds so my question is can I do fast walking or just normal walking for like an hour and go on a diet or I need to wait for more day's?

Recovery from Gynecomasti Surgery and Activity

After your #Gynecomastia #surgery, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.Your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing.Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. However, you must have your doctor's approval before you begin any workout regimen.

Walking after gynecomastia surgery?

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend speaking with your plastic surgeon to verify their recommendations as far as physical activity after gynecomastia surgery.  I encourage my patients to walk after surgery, however, they are not released to full activity until after 3 weeks.  Again, be sure to check with your plastic surgeon to verify when they would like you to return to full activity.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Walking after gynecomastia surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the gynecomastia corrective surgery. Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice.    In our practice, I ask patients to start walking from day one. Lower extremity exercise, such as use of stationary bicycle, weights, lunges... can be resumed at the two-week mark (sometimes sooner depending on the exact operation performed and how the patient is doing clinically).  Returned to upper body workout, brisk walking and running usually begins 4 to 6 weeks post op.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Walking after Gynecomastia Surgery

Thanks for your question.  Your surgeon would be able to best address any questions regarding activity level after surgery, as he or she knows you best.  In general, any degree of walking is recommended after surgery.  Strenuous exercise (heart rate over 100) or heavy lifting (greater than 10 lbs) is typically not recommended until you are 4-6 weeks out from your gynecomastia surgery.  It's always important to eat a healthy, well-rounded diet, so I would continue to maintain good nutrition to help your healing.  Best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Walking After Gynecomastia Surgery

You should discuss this with your surgeon who knows you best. For my patients, walking is good but not where you are working up a sweat. Your body is healing and needs nourishment, this is not a good time to be dieting. Eat healthy! I want my patients to wait 4 to 6 weeks before resuming formal exercise, depending on how they are healing. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD