Soft tissue correction after chin implant removal, What are my options? (Photo)

I had a chin implant removed after 9 months of placement. It's been 19 months now but my chin has not returned to its presurgical shape and length. It's now too long with dimpling and it gets crooked when I smile.I believe it's a soft tissue since it looks like a ball. Also when I rest my chin on my hand or when I force a little of pressure on it, it feels pretty sore. How to correct this and is it possible for my chin to return to it's presurgical shape and length without placing another implant?

Chin sagging after implant removal

You are experiencing chin ptosis after removal of implant. This may be very difficult problem to treat in some patients. Chin lift using circumferential suture to diminish width of the expanded soft tissue of chin and fixation to the bone may work. Other option may be sliding genioplasty. Sometime direct skin and soft tissue excision in the midline is best solution which leaves surprisingly acceptable scar.

You should seek a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in facial implants and genioplasty. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Soft tissue correction

It's hard to answer this properly without examining you. I think that the first step should always be seeing your primary surgeon and expressing your concerns. Sometimes a small implant can improve your situation and the "balling up" may need occasional Botox. There are a lot of missing pieces that I do not feel I can answer without an exam. 

*Opinions stated here are only opinions. They are not based on a clinical exam which is recommended. 

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Soft tissue correction after chin implant removal, What are my options?

My view would be that the soft tissue may have been permanently expanded by the placement of the implant for 9 months; the tissue has remained expanded and therefore the best way would be to remove some tissue via the original scar for insertion if you had the original implant placed from under the chin otherwise then a new but small and inconspicuous scar there.

Best wishes for attaining your goals!

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Chin post implant

It is best to use a sliding genioplasty to reestablish the shape/contour; but review the xrays to determine how much 'soft tissue' changes have occurred as a result of the implant. 

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon