Sliding genioplasty: Permanent nerve damage risk?

Is there any consensus or can anyone remark in general on what percentage of people undergoing a sliding genioplasty experience permanent nerve damage? In particular numbness of any kind, to any degree.

Sliding genioplasty vs. Chin Implant risks

There is a risk of permanent nerve damage with all chin surgery. Some people have aberrant anatomy which can predispose them to injury. Between the 2 options, I believe that an osteotomy has a greater risk of permanent damage as it requires greater dissection and stabilization of the bone with screws, plates, or wires...all of which have their own risks. Much of the same result can be achieved in the majority of cases with a chin implant alone. 

*Opinions stated here are only opinions. They are not based on a clinical exam which is recommended.

Chin surgery risks

it is quite rare to have a long term change in the lip sensation after sliding genioplasty; done technically well. The 'chin' itself is actually quite 'dull' sensation normally; but the 'lips' themselves are quite sensitive. The bone cut is well below the nerves. Some change in sensation can occur to the 'gums' below the front teeth in some cases which does not affect the health nor lip area. Talk to your surgeon more about it

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Hi, uncertain of the percentages but sliding Genioplasty is a far more invasive chin augmentation procedures that requires bone cuts, plates and screws compared to placement of a Chin Implant.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.