Removing 425cc implant under the muscle with no lift?

Breast implant removal and need for a lift.

How your breasts will look after implant removal depends on many factors:  Implant size, how long the implants have been in, any weight changes since the implants have been in, babies born and breast fed, etc.  Having removed many, many implants over the years for a myriad of reasons, I've gotten pretty good at guessing what the breasts will look like and if a lift at the time of implant removal is recommended.  Also, in cases with saline implants, preoperative implant deflation can be very valuable in predicting how the breasts will look after implant removal.  I do this in most cases of saline implant removal.  I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon with a lot of experience.  An in personal exam to assess your skin tone and thickness of your breast tissue is absolutely necessary to given any meaningful individualized advice. 

Removing large breast implants and lifts

It is important to point out since it's such a common misperception, that removing breast implants does not make breasts sag and putting them in does not truly lift them. The effect of lift or sag is an illusion related to volume fill. In general, although it's possible, I would not recommend a lift done at the time of an implant removal unless the nipple-areola is seriously below the level of the inframammary crease behind it. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

425 cc implant removal

Removing an implant is often fairly straightforward. If there is a tight capsule, then sometimes this is removed as well.

Thank you for the question. This is a difficult question to answer without examining you. However, most people would benefit from a lift post implants removal. If sometimes can be performed in stages. I would recommend to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Thank you for your question.  No reputable online reviewer can diagnose and recommend treatment without an exam and more information.  Once one has removal of an implant as sizable as 425cc there is a high possibility of having visible sagging of the breasts (ptosis).  Many women seek surgery to treat this.  I would recommend starting with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Be sure to see plenty of before and after photos to get an idea of the range of patient experience of your surgeon. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Explantation with no lift

In general, with implants over 350cc, an internal lift and sometimes skin excision either around the NA complex or in the lower pole is needed to avoid deformity.  Pictures would help.

Susan Kolb, MD

Sometimes explantation without a lift is possible, but whether or not that would work for you would require a full set of photographs and details on your breast implant.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

It's a good question. The decision whether to undergo a lift after an implant removal depends on your overall goals and your physical examination.Only a careful in person consultation can determine whether you would benefit from a lift after removal of your implants. Your always have the option of having your implants removed, judging your result 3-6 months later and then deciding whether or not to undergo a lift procedure during a second operation. If you have saline implants, the implants can be drained in clinic six weeks before removal. This gives the breast tissues time to retract to see you how you may look with only implant removal. This allows you to judge your result if you undergo only the removal procedure.Schedule consult with board-certified plastic surgeons to hear all of your options in detail.

Removal of breast implants, (Explants)

The removal of breast implants is a patient decision. The discussion should include all the options available. The pros and cons of each procedure, then the patient can make an informed decision. A lift can be done at the same time or delayed after the explant based on the patient's desire.Removal of breast implant should include the removal of the capsule, and re-attach the muscle back to the chest, back to normal anatomy. There are many changes that occur after having an implant for few years and the shape of the breast after explant can not be accurately predicted nor guaranteed.

Explant alone

Removal of a 425 cc implant alone may lead to skin laxity requiring a full lift. It is impossible to determine without an in office consultation. Seek breast specialist in your area 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS