Are Foam (polyuthrene) Implants Safe? Polytech implants

I had my BA operations done on the 8th of July 2016 in well known clinic in Poland (I am Polish) and doctor is quite famous and very good in his work (not cheap though). But my concern is that doctor has choosen Polytech implants (produced in Germany), but now I am reading so many reports that they can cause cancer. I ma so scared that now I harm my body or put it in risk of cancer. They look so good and heal very well but I am so scraed now. Maybe I should remove them now.

These implants have a CE mark in Europe - they do not have FDA approval in the US.
One of the reasons they do not have FDA approval has been postulated by my colleagues below who are US based. There are however a number of other reasons. It must be declared that in Europe two of the three US FDA approved implant companies have had safety warnings issued against them in the last year within Europe. Polyurethane implants have been used a lot in Brazil and Europe and there is no evidence of an increased link to cancer for patients that have undergone breast augmentation in comparison to the implant companies in the US that have FDA approval. I would see your PS for advice. There is never any 100% safety with any breast implants but there is no evidence to suggest that there is a problem with your implants. I would consult with your PS for reassurance or have a second opinion from a surgeon who has experience of using FDA and CE approved implants.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Polyurethane implants

We used to use them here. A breakdown product of the foam increases the incidence of bladder cancer in rats. Assumption of risk is a personal decision. How much risk is acceptable? it is impossible to have zero risk. The implants certainly performed very well while we had access to them. If you remove them, you need to do total capsulectomies as well since the foam separates from the shell and incorporates into the capsule.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Breast augmentation - polyurethane foam

Thank you for asking about your polyurethane covered breast implants.
  • This is a difficult situation for you to be in.
  • These implants were approved for European use b
  • But they were approved by the same German authority that approved the terrible PIP implants.
  • Polyurethane foam is not used on US implants because it was found to cause cancer in rats.
  • Polyurethane is widely used in the furniture industry - and industrial exposure may increase the risk of cancer of people working with it - it isn't entirely clear.
  • Polyurethane does tend to fragment and can make it hard to remove implants in the future.
  • Ideally, you would ask your surgeon to exchange the implants for ones that are the same size and shape and gel, but without the polyurethane covering.
  • The company and the surgeon may do this for you for free -
  • The UK has just issued a notice to its plastic surgeons to not use these implants.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS