How to fix Voluma mistake? (Photo)

I had voluma a month ago and it left a puffy area on right side of mouth that was not there before. The MD put more voluma in cheek last week and it made it worse. What can I do to fix?

Voluma Reversal

Hi tmv002425,

Thank you for sending in your question and photographs. It is a little difficult to see the area that is causing you concern from your photos. In general, if you’ve had your treatment in the last 2 weeks, the area could still be swollen and your actual results not yet visible. If it’s been over 2 weeks and you’re unhappy with the amount of correction, you could consider an injection of Hylauronidase (brand name: Hylenex, Wydase, Vitrase) to dissipate or reverse the Voluma.

Hylauronidase is an enzyme that degrades hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, and Voluma. I like having this tool available in my practice should the need every arise to reverse the results of dermal filler treatment. Your doctor will inject Hylauronidase into the area of concern to dissolve the filler. Typically, full results are visible in a few hours. Side affects can include swelling, bruising, and soreness.

I suggest giving your doctor a call to schedule an evaluation of your results and possibly Hylauronidase treatment.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to fix Voluma mistake?

Thank you for your question. Voluma is intended for the cheek bone area. If you had it eswhere and are unhappy there is a product called Hyloronidase that can reverse it. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for treatment options.

Voluma issue

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your treatment.  I would try to massage the area to see if you can smooth it out some.  If it is still present after a week of trying you can elect to dissolve the product using a special enzyme.  

Camille Cash, MD

Voluma injection reversal

Thank you for your question. It may be worthwhile seeking out a more experienced injector. Especially one who has experience with how to run a days. I would also consider if it was done fairly recent massaging and molding product to see if I can help soften the effects. 

Puffiness

Try massaging the area for a week or two. If the bumps are still there after that, have your practitioner inject the enzyme to dissolve the product.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Fix Voluma mistake

As with other hyaluronic acid dermal fillers, the effects of voluma can be reversed with Hyaluronidase. Voluma should be performed only by experienced and expert physician injectors.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

This can be corrected with Hyaluronidase

TMV-

This can be corrected using an enzyme called hyaluronidase, and your physician should be able to readily perform this.

In my view, a properly performed Voluma treatment should rarely cause "puffiness" because Voluma is not "hydrophilic," meaning it does not cause fluid to flood the area of injection.  Also, Voluma is only approved for injection into the midface area, and is not designed for contouring around the mouth.  In the future, I suggest you try Juvederm for the area closer to your mouth and Voluma to lift your cheek area.  This will minimize the risk of complications.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Reverse Filler If You Are Unhappy -- Hyaluronidase

If you are unhappy should be reversed, cannula injections limit complications and decrease swelling, pain, and bruising.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Puffy cheek after Voluma

Hi tmv, fortunately, Voluma belongs to a class of fillers known as hyaluronic acid. This type of filler can be dissolved with a substance called hyaluronidase. Keep in mind that it may take a few treatments before all of the product dissolves.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Mistake

At this point, the best thing to do is have the Voluma dissolved using Hyaluronidase. It may take a few sessions for the filler to completely dissolve.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon