Scar Tissue Release in Revision Gynecomastia Surgery? (photo)

I had revision gynecomastia surgery 8 weeks ago. As part of the surgery, the surgeon released the scar tissue on the left chest that was very hard prior to surgery. Post surgery, the tissue becomes soft and the left chest is totally flat whenever I wear the compression vest. However, when I remove the vest, after about 30 mins, the tissue becomes somewhat hard again. Why does this happen and what can I do to keep the tissue soft and flat permanently? Thx -Sean

Following Your Gynecomastia Surgery

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks.
However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Scar Tissue Release in Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the post and photo. Revision gynecomastia surgery can take even longer to settle. At 8 weeks you are still on the earlier side of the healing curve. I suspect that you are experiencing transient swelling once the compression vest is off. This should improve as time goes by because the swelling should decrease. You are also probably experiencing scar formation which is normal at this time in your recovery. Stretching exercises and massage may help with this. I would follow your plastic surgeons recommendations regarding this.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand 

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia Surgery - several months needed to see final outcome

It is too early to tell your final outcome. Local Massage and waiting is probably most indicated at this point. In 2-3 months you will have a better idea of your outcome.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

I believe you are still early in your recovery process.  Some surgeons do recommend massaging the scar at this point.  I think you need more time to heal.  I would reevaluate in 6 months.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Scar after revision liposuction

Dear Sean,

this is an unfortunate problem you are going thru.

yes, the body may take longer to heal after a revision surgery such as the one you had.

what I would suggest you is to start massage the scarred area either with a mechanical hand-held massage device ( Homedic for ex at any Wallgreen ) or buy one of those hand-held Ultrasound device on Amazon, plus the 4 $ gel that goes with it. the Ultrasound devices are used by physical therapists, but you can do it to yourself in the comfort of your home twice a day to help soften out the scar tissue and massage it.

your surgeon probably explained you it may take up to 2 years for the scar tissue to settle down.

good luck

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD

Gynecomastia and skin

Without an evaluation, it is difficult to say. But it could represent swelling that should subside with time.