Malar fat pad?

I had buccal fat removal and now I'm concerned about the consequences. Is it possible that the buccal fat removal will accelerate the malar fat pad descent? I mean, the malar fat pad is located above the buccal fat pad. Does the buccal fat gives any form of support to the malar fat? I had chubby lower cheeks but I don't want my apple cheeks to go down. Thank you

Buccal fat removal - will malar tissues descend early?

Thank you for asking about your buccal fat removal.
  • If you had excess buccal fat and the fat in the central cheek was removed, it should not affect your malar tissues.
  • However if extensive fat was removed- as some surgeons do - it can thin the whole face and decrease tissuen support. 
  • If this were the case, I would expect you to see the effects now.
  • If your apple cheeks haven't changed so far, and surgery was 6 months ago or more, chances are you will be fine.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I had chubby lower cheeks but I don't want my apple cheeks to go down. = it depends of your cheek bone structure #chubbycheeks

Buccal fat (pad) and mallar fat pad are two different types of fat pockets in the face that provide soft tissue volume to the face. The fact the buccal fat (pad) is removed doest mean the mallar fat pad will be misplaced afterward. There is a believe that buccal fat removal will make the patients to look older. This is not necessarily because the buccal fat removal but lack of cheek bone structure. the cheek bones are the ones that mainly give the support to the mid face and therefore youthful appearance. In order to prevent aging looking of the face after bucal fat removal,lateral cheek bone projection may be preserved/ improved as the time goes with either fillers like hyaluronic acid (voluma) or cheek implants. 

John Mesa, MD