Does neck lift/platysmaplasty affect the voice?

I am a classical vocalist with an unusually large range (four octaves) and singing is how I earn my living and an integral part of my identity. Will having a neck lift and platysmaplasty affect my singing voice in any way? Thank you!

Facelifting and the singer

I have performed neck and facelifts on professional singers and their singing voices are unaffected. The tissue that is involved with these procedures are in a superficial level and do not affect the deeper vocal cords or the vocal muscles.  Nerves to these singing muscles and vocal cords are also not effected with face and neck lifting. 

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. The neck lift addresses superficially aesthetic features rather than structural or interior features of the neck. While you may have a change in your voice in the few days after your surgery, it is very rare to experience permanent changes to your voice. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  A neck lift / platysmaplasty is performed at a superficial level and is no where near the vocal cords; and so it would not affect the voice.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Voice changes after neck lift are not common

Hi.  The shaping of the skin, fat and platysma muscles during a neck lift are several tissue layers away from your vocal cords.  Discuss any concerns about over tightening with your ABPS certified PS, and talk to their necklift patients to get more insight.  Temporary voice changes may occur as a result of breathing tubes used during certain types of anesthesia.  Good luck,