Does weight gain affect results of a Neck lift?

So my weight fluctuates about 20 pounds. The advice is that I should get the neck lift at my LOWEST weight. How will my results be affected if I gain weight after the procedure? Should I NOT do this procedure if I am unable to maintain a consistent weight?

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. I disagree. You should get the neck lift once your weight has stabilized. We do not work on patients who are coming off a period of extreme weight loss. It is best that you are open and honest with your surgeon about your current body type and look so that your surgeon can provide you a tailor-made solution that works in conjunction with your current (and average) appearance. Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift - before or after losing weight

Thank you for asking about your neck lift.
  • This is a difficult question -
  • If you have a neck lift at your lowest weight and gain 20 pounds, you neck will get fatter.
  • If you have a neck lift and lose 20 pounds, your skin will get looser.
  • What about having a neck lift when you are in between - this gives you a good chance that the changes after surgery will be small.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Weight fluctuation and neck lift results

It really depends what is a major cause of your neck deformity. If it is predominantly fat deposits (deep and superficial),  fat removal by means of liposuction or better, direct excision will help regardless of weight fluctuation.  However, if neck deformity is a combination of fat deposits and significant muscle laxity, weight control after neck lift is mandatory. Deep fat, underneath the platisma muscle is not available for surgical manipulation except in anterior portion of neck.Clinical evaluation by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial rejuvenation would help. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Fluctuating weight gain and loss does affect a neck lift procedure

It is always best to be at your ideal body weight before a neck lift procedure.  A 20 pound weight loss can affect the skin tone in the neck, so it's best to lose that weight and stay there.  For more information and many neck lifts before and after results, please see the link and the video below 

Weight Gain after a Neck Lift

A neck lift will last longer if you take good care of it.  If you take good care of your skin, stay out of the sun, and keep a stable weight, the neck lift will last longer.  If you gain weight, it may blunt your neckline.  Depending on your anatomy, even if you gain weight, you will likely still look considerably better than not doing the surgery at all.  I hope this helps.