Indents on Hips - What Can I Do to Fix It? (photo)

I have indents on my hips in between my actual hips and where the bottom of my waist is, making it look like I have love handles when I don't. No matter how thin I have been throughout my life, the indentations have always been there. I work out very regularly. What are my options for plumping this area up so I have a rounded hip shape instead of one that goes out, in, then out again?

Doctor Answers 8

Fat grafting or Sculptra for indentations

I have been very pleased with Sculptra as a way to fill out buttock indentations. I find that the procedure requires little to no downtime and is office based. I have done minor dimples to full buttock augmentations, albeit the latter is for people who want a modest augmentation and with little fat to donate. At times, if the indentation is associated with a scar, then subcision or a scar release may also be warranted. 
Alternatively, fat grafting is a great option to round out the indentations.

Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Hip Indentation Treatment and Fat Transfer

   This is a natural point of attachment in most humans.  Fat transfer can be used to plump this and is frequently done with the Brazilian buttlift patients.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs fat transfer hundreds of times each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Body Indentations Can Be Corrected with Fat Transfer

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo.  Body Contour indentations can be very effectively treated with fat transfer.  Fat is liposuctioned from an area where it is undesireable and injected into the depressed areas.  Consult a board certified Plastic Surgeon with significant experience with fat grafting. Good Luck!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

Body Contouring

Your current shape is quite typical of many women, especially in thin, well excercised ones.  However, if it is something that you desire to change, I would suggest getting some photos of the appearance you desire.  You should bring these along with you for a consultation to a cosmetic surgeon who is familiar with both liposuction as well as fat-grafting

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Hips Contour

Hello, my first choice will be the same as my colleges.  Liposuction on desired areas, and then Lipoinyection (fat grafting)  in the indent area in order to achieve a nicer contour.

Best    Dr. R. Vega     /  Tijuana.  Mexico

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Shapely Hips

Dear sun versus moon,

You are slim and it would be important to be clear about what your goals are.  If you could bring photographs of the sort of look you are after, that would help in the consultation.  It would be possible to perform liposuction below the indent (and to a lesser extent above) to change the contour, and if you wanted it 'plumped out', then fat grafting would be required.

As Dr Culbertson says, you should see someone experienced in this type of surgery. 

Indent in hip, fat grafting, Brazilian Butt Lift

Fat grafting may not be a solution for this area as fat does not like to survive where fat was not originally existing. Liposculpture may be an option depending on how much fat is present in your hip.

It is difficult to tell from this photograph.  That is why a personal consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or better pictures would be helpful to you.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Body Contouring Procedure

 Your solution most likely will be a body contouring procedure of Liposuction & Fat Grafting. The area you are concerned about could be grafted with fat donated from other areas of your body such as your abdomen, back, etc. May I suggest you seek out a consult with a surgeon familiar with these type of procedures like a Brazilian Buttocks Lift. Best,


Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.