Eye pain/stinging 5 weeks after blepharoplasty.

I had an upper blepharoplasty 5 weeks ago. I have had constant burning & stinging in my eyes since. I use Systane lubricating drops all day and Systane ointment at night-I reapply it in the middle of the night. I have tried Muro 128 drops because I read that it could help but it didn't. I don't see any kind of nerve or vision changes/damage. I'm getting so worried-if this is normal and will go away eventually, that's fine. I would appreciate any reassurance and/or advise. Thank you

Doctor Answers 5

Post op blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
sometimes eye surgery can result in dryness of the eyes especially if you have a dry eye to begin with. However, you should consult your plastic surgeon to make sure there are no other abnormalities.

San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Eye pain and stinging after blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
this is unusual after blepharoplasty and you should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist who can make sure that there is no corneal abrasion or ulcer. I would not wait any longer either as it has been over a month with such symptoms and most corneal abrasions resolve fairly quickly as long as the offending factor has been removed. Ideally, ask your plastic surgeon to refer you to an ophthalmologist who has a good understanding of what was done. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Eye pain after blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question. You require consultation with an Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation of possible dry eyes. A special machine is required for the evaluation. There are several treatment options which will be discussed if it turns out that your discomfort is due to post operative dryness.  Feel better.

Reassurance is not appropriate. You need to be seen by an ophthalmologist.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The reality is that most plastic surgeons performing eyelid surgery are not oculoplastic surgeons.  Oculoplastic surgeons are subspeciality plastic surgeon who are fellowship trained in oculofacial surgery and are board certified in ophthalmology.  Without this training in ophthalmology, your surgeon does not know how to diagnose or manage dry eye or corneal exposure caused by their eyelid surgery.  Get assessed so you get the care you need.  Aggressive ocular lubrication will make the eye more comfortable but you may need structural surgery to correct the damage done to the eyelids that is causing the eye irritation.  Start with the general ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic surgeon to stablize the situation and see if things settle down with medical management.  Muro 128 is only for a particular corneal issue and unlikely to be appropriate for your issues.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Post blepharoplasty ocular irritation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi there. Greetings from the UK! The first thing I would recommend you do is see an ophthalmologist. It's normal to get a bit of minor irritation still especially in the mornings due to residual postoperative swelling causing conjunctival chemosis at 5 weeks but this is typically worse on waking and resolves after an hour or so. What you're describing sounds like mild exposure keratopathy which is essentially drying out of the ocular surface. Typically it's caused by lagophthalmos (inadequate closure of the eyelid).  Lubricants that I tend to prescribe in the UK are hyloforte which is a hyalauronate based lubricant which can be used as often as you so wish. In the US you could something like Optive fusion. For the night time I'd recommend something really viscous such as Xailin Night or Lacrilube. For a permanent cure though, treatment depends on what the cause is. You may get away with having some punctal plugs inserted to try and improve ocular surface hydration and an ophthalmologist should be able to do this for you as an office procedure. Rarely though you might need further surgery improve closure and this depends on what the cause is e.g. over aggressive skin excision from the blepharoplasty in which you might need a skin graft. You'd probably be best seeing an oculoplastic surgeon who'll be able to sort out everything for you as they are trained as ophthalmologists and would be able to offer you revisional surgery if required. Either way if it doesn't resolve I'd definitely recommend seeing a good ophthalmologist/ oculoplastic surgeon first. Good Luck. David

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.