Long scar after upper blepharoplasty. Normal? (photos)

I am 2 weeks out after upper blepharoplasty. I immediately noticed the scar on one of my eyes was more extended and impossible to hide. It's not at all what I expected. I expected it to be hidden in the fold. The other eye has a visible scar as well, though a bit shorter. I know you need a longer scar for more hooding but the eye with the longer scar just barely had hooding and the doc had to convince me to do both so they would be even. I'm very disappointed. Any way to correct it or am I stuck with it?

Upper blepharoplasty scar

Upper blepharoplasty incisions sometimes need to be extending into the crows feet to reduce hooding under the tail of the brow. The incision is less hidden in this location, but usually heals great over time. Two weeks is much to early to assess the results. Incisions take 12 to 18 months to fully mature. The incisions looks great for two weeks after surgery and will continue to improve with time. Hang in there. I suspect you will love your results.

Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is all too "normal."

Not only is your incision very long, it is also very high.  This means that the very thin eyelid skin is now sewn to the very thick subbrow skin making a harsh transition.  Extending the incision when you did not have much hooding is a cookie cutter approach to eyelid surgery.  These extended incision are associated with an incision that takes a long time to settle down and in some remains visible.  When the incision is high like this, the upper eyelid tends to be unnaturally skeletonize.  Generally eyelids should not be revised until they have healed about 6 months.

Scar after upper bleph

You are too early to worry about the appearance of scar tissue after upper bleph. Give it a few more weeks and the incision will mature and improve. The good news is that blepharoplasty incisions rarely leave scars. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Upper blepharoplasty incision

It is only 2 weeks out since the surgery so you can expect to see a visible scar.  As time passes, your scar will be less visible.  I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your surgeon and discuss your concerns with him/her.  Make sure to follow all of his/her instructions. Good luck! 

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty: the length of the scar

In upper blepharoplasty, an incision is made in the upper eyelid crease to access the muscle and fat compartments. This incision is also where excess skin is removed. To produce an even result and to prevent hooding, the incision may extend from the upper eyelid crease out to the side. This area heals well, but it does take time (most of a year or longer depending on skin type).
You can help things along by following your surgeon's post-operative instructions, keeping your follow-up appointments and protecting the area from the sun. Any questions or concerns should be brought to your surgeon's attention. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty incisions

are customized to what has to be done and I am going to assume you had more skin and hooding on the side with the longer incision.  If not, then you can ask your surgeon why one is longer.  I hope you get the results you desire as your fold will be on the wider side.

Curtis Wong, MD