Do the muscles in the mouth grow back? Will the shape of my mouth return to normal? Do I need plastic surgery? (photos)

I had a dog bite to my upper right lip. I am now one month after surgery and I am worried about the disfiguration of my mouth and asymmetrical upper lip.

Dog Bite With Scar

You will need a reconstructive surgeon to repair your wound and then a dermatologist trained in lasers to improve the scars.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip dog bite injury

You will likely see significant improvement with time. However, laser resurfacing of your lip scar will improve the texture and appearance of the scar. This can begin 6 weeks after your injury. It is possible that you could require a scar revision procedure as well but I typically wait 6-12 months before considering this type of procedure. Exercise and scar massage are also very helpful in the meantime and can prevent scar contracture. Best. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon