Can ice be applied on facial swelling after 4 days?

Slept with face unelected causing enhanced underage swelling on one side only.

Ice Post Facelift Swelling

Apply light ice packs or Swiss Therapy eye masks to the exposed areas of the face to reduce swelling. This is critical for the first 72 hours after your surgery, but can be continued for as long as necessary. The degree of swelling varies from patient to patient. All swelling takes time to subside, but you should see steady progress over the course of days,weeks, and months.

Will icing help 4 days after a facelift?

The swelling around the face peaks around day 3 after a facelift.  In my practice, I have found that icing during the first 7 days after surgery is beneficial.  So I think that the answer is yes, it may help you.
Make sure to do so as directed by your surgeon (there are correct and incorrect ways to ice the face).

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Application of ice to the face days after a facelift.

Ice will favorably influence swelling only if it is placed immediately after the operation. After four days it will have no therapeutic effect. Make certain that you don't inadvertently freeze your skin as it may be temporarily insensitive after the facelift.

Do not put ice directly on skin at your surgical site.  Instead, consider a cool compress.  Be sure to check with your surgeon regarding specific recommendations.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Can I apply ice to my facelift skin after

It's dangerous to apply ice to your neck or face skin (especially behind the ear) after facelift surgery.  DON"T do it.  Your skin circulation is more precarious AND  your skin is numb.  Avoid salty foods and keep your head elevated while wearing any compressive garment that your doctor gave you.
Good luck and regards to Vietnam.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Ice after Facelift

Thank you for your question. I would not put ice directly on any area that was operated on.  A cool compress may be a better option for comfort.  The reason for this is that direct ice can reduce the bloodflow to the operated tissues.  Also, the tissue could actually freeze, without your knowledge, because the sensation in this area is diminished.

Be sure to consult with your surgeon for their preference, as well. 

I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ice after a facelift

This can be helpful , even after 4 days. Just be gentle and protect the skin from direct ice. The goal is to cool, not freeze the skin.

4 days postop facelift: ice of any value?

I don't see any value in ice or cold packs 4 days postop after surgery. It may provide symptomatic relief but otherwise will likely not reduce swelling much. 

Be be careful of applying directly to your face a cold product though as it may cause injury such as frostbite. 

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ice on skin

Ice can be dangerous because if you do not have normal sensation in the area you might not realize you damaged the skin. Plastic surgeon for years have used frozen peas in a zip lock bag instead of ice. Peas are not as cold, contour well to area applied, and thaw before they could really do any harm.

Stephen Lovich, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Hello Aninka,

I don't recommend ever putting something directly from the freezer on your skin as it can lead to frost bite and skin loss, especially in the numb areas.  I do have my patients use cold compresses.  At day 4 they wouldn't do much.  The cooling helps to minimize the swelling from coming on but it likely won't help it go away any faster.  

Make sure you follow up with your surgeon for any specific recommendations.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon